Thursday, May 23, 2024

Pre-Adventure Musings

Remember 10 years ago on this blog when you would get to see pictures from oh so many different aspects of my life? My walk to class, a friend in town, a big cake I made for a birthday. These days it's just Brett and all the critters we share our lives with. I'm thrilled about it, mind you. It's not until I go to write a blog post that I realize I haven't been out in the world. 


In any case, and speaking of being out in the world, we're heading out. So in some cases yes, this is an obligatory post with no real point to it, just so I can keep up with my sidebar numbers game. (Two posts a month is so minor. If I can't manage that I don't deserve to keep this blog.) I've got to get that second post in before the end of the month. 

I've been packing, vacuuming, and writing extensive instructions for the people looking after all the animals while were away. You don't realize what a job it is to care for your animals, as well as how unhinged you've become, until you're explaining that yes, you can take Grace to the beach, but don't force her to go too close to the water because the crashing waves really scare her. 

While the cats don't really care who feeds them, so long as they are fed, I particularly feel bad sending Pippa off to camp for the trip. Sometimes she has a great time a doggy camp and other times they'll report back that she was "a bashful wallflower." She and I have this drastic pendulum of personality in common. Sometimes I'm a riot. Other times I just want to go hug mom. So I can sympathize with being away from home AND having to spend time with... others. Grace will stay here at the house with Erik, our house sitter. 

Morning pep-talk.

Meanwhile, in preparation for our departure, EisenEars has been working extra late to finish things at work but today he called me with updates that are going to equal out to his team being "blown out" upon his return. Last night he was real stressed and whatnot, but today's news allowed him to really turn a corner. "You know, I'm so far in the hole, what's a few more feet?" he laughed as he stepped up to order a coffee. 

I have spoken to Ellen on the phone more times this week than takes place over the standard month. She's all whipped up and excited and nervous and, as you know, real bossy about our travel plans. I'm excited to spend the trip observing her in her natural habitat. Brett and I have a list of "over/ unders" on when in the trip she will say what phrases. I love this part of traveling. 


Mom and Dad left two days ago for Prague, spent a day and a half in the Charlotte airport, and finally gave up and went to Zurich. While it was an awful ordeal, I was particularly entertained by Dad's blasé texts on the matter. While Mom was fuming, he was sending gifs of Obama, Seinfeld characters, and airplanes flapping their wings. It's the little things. 
Today Lee dropped off the squirts with Marcia and Ellen, understandably, made a Target run.

Wild times over here in preparation for a grand Italian adventure.

A very brave first for nervous Nora. 
(Her first real cuddle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...