Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Ari and Nate Get Married


A crisp November morning and sense of whimsy. "It's Ari's big day!" I said, throwing the covers off to one side and springing out of bed. There was much to be done on this day. 

Ari and Nate got married November 17th at the The Gadsden House and I stared and grinned at them all day. I went to the Gadsden House early to drop off candles and vases and order around a collection of Ari's parent's friends who also came early to help with the flowers and decorations.  




The time we spent "getting ready" is my most cherished part of this day. Just Ari, Elsa, and me, shimmying into our dresses and giggling. Ari was so calm and happy. Somehow this time didn't fly by. I reckon it was the lack of busting bridesmaids. It was just us. We ate lunch and talked and it was a bit like our usual Ari/Laura time except we were in formalwear and people kept poking their heads in to to "aww" at Ari. 






Ari and Nate had their first look before the ceremony.






And I continued to stare and grin.


After a full day of Ari/Laura time, guests started to trickle in and I had that realization you have at weddings where it hits you that other people love your person too and you have to share this day with them even though you know all the things those other people don't know and there's no way they love the person as much as you do. 

While we were waiting on the ceremony to start, Ari and I sat quietly, side by side on the sofa and stared forward, our bouquets ready in our hands. I thought of all the wild, whooping groups of girls that have anxiously waited around in that room, squealing and squirming and drinking champagne. 
"It's like we're waiting on a bus." I said, and then Ari said, "Mmm." and nodded and then we continued to wait for our cue.





Post-ceremony they did their first dance to a John Prine tune...



 ...they cut their highly anticipated wedding cake...


...and then there was dancing.




Brett and I did some of our best dancing.





They made a traditional New Orleans exit, hopped on a pedi-cap, and off they went.



I can only tell you about this day through the eyes of Big Lu. I rushed around doing lots of things at first, but then I joined Ari by lunchtime and the rest felt like an exceptionally giddy hangout. I loved watching people see her and seeing Nate watch her. I felt like a joyful mama. Nate and Ari smiled the entire time and they were so calm and gracious. I liked looking out at the audience while they said their vows and I loved seeing some old friends and meeting new ones I've only heard about in Grad-School tales. We danced and we celebrated and when it was all over, my feet hurt too much to gather up all of my supplies so I made Brett and Ellen's really fantastic date do it. Ellen pretended to help by holding a lantern and acting like she was looking for places to put it. 

I climbed into our car, stuffed full of garland and people, and we scampered off to a little bar where we knew we'd find Ari and we had one last celebratory hug. 
Everything thing felt just right that day and getting together now, both of us with our new husbands, feels just like it has since we were little, we just have an extra set of best friends with us and I think it all feels as it should be. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...