Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Woe To My Sullen Heart

Early tomorrow morning we drive over to the next county or so and drop Pippa off at behavior school. Previously neglected, semi-mistreated*, and then abandoned, I do not feel good about leaving Pippa in a strange place for so long. Yes yes I know she'll be fine. I have a hunch she's going to really love training school because she enjoys having an objective to carry out. She's so full-throttle and eager to please, I know she'll enjoy the challenge of it all. But for all her brazen living there's a timid little weenie version of her that get's in her head sometimes. She doesn't like to be alone and she's nervous around new people and sounds. She was so distressed in the kennel where I adopted her. I feel lots of guilt sending her back to a similar environment. If she thinks for even a second that I've abandoned her, well I'll just cry and keel over. I love this dern dog and I'd do anything for her. 

My hope is that she'll be so tuckered at night that she won't have time to cry her awoo-woos longing for home before she completely sacks out. She won't think of our nighttime cuddles and eating her supper as fast as possible so she can go stand and watch Grace eat her supper. Pippa doesn't like sneezes or sharp inhales. Do I tell her new teacher to breathe softly? Who will sing gospel hymns edited to be about Pippa?

To the chorus of "This is My Story This is My Song

"Little Pepita, Little Pepite.
Little Pepita, she has four feet..." etc. 

Meanwhile Grace will get a taste of the good life. She'll recall life before Pippa; back when she was a happy dog, and we imagine that she'll come to life over this month. Elated to be free of her wretched sister, Grace will come-to and participate in the day. No more sulking in the corner and refusing love-time, Grace will be the pup she intended to be before Brett went and picked up two other women. (That's Pip and me.) And just as Grace thinks her dreams have come true and life is all about her again, Pip will return home (smelling awfully strange) and then Grace'll be locked away in the same smelly kennel Pip just came from and her distain will grow to global proportions. 


We figure Grace is going to make us pay for her stay at camp for the rest of time. Her bitterness runs deep. I'm already a little scared of her. 



* Fine, I'm only assuming Pip was mistreated because of her perpetual flinching and melting into the floor when people reach out to pet her. Brett does not think Pip was mistreated. I think mothers know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...