Thursday, December 18, 2014

Belize and The Panama Canal

Just so you know, these two places have nothing to do with each other. They're not even neighbors. The common denominator here is that I don't have much to say about either of them.

The Panama Canal infatuated my entire family, particularly Ellen, which was so unexpected I somehow became mad about it. The Panama Canal is a series of large-scale bathtubs that they fill and drain all day. And for some reason, it really enthralls people.


It was a rainy day in Panama though the grey sky made the lush greenery look even more brilliant in hue. Panama is reminiscent of the Jurassic Park scenery and I kept waiting for a sleepy brontosaurus to emerge from the distant mist. We stopped first at the Gatun Locks where we watched a cargo ship and a submarine pass through a shallow bathtub and then wait patiently for them to fill it up into a deep bathtub.


While people gawked and stared in an adrenaline pumping display of water rising inch by inch, I smiled and waved at the Peruvian military.



Finally they filled the next bathtub and the boats were on their way. I realized later that my complete disinterest in the place came about because I was expecting something entirely different and I really knew nothing about it anyways. The Panama Canal was alway this big grand thing you heard about that changed so much for the world. I imagined it so much more, well, grandiose. Also, no one explained to me how two different seas could have two different water-levels. I've got it now, thanks, but it's too late. I was unimpressed and Ellen was scampering all over pointing at things and being interested. I don't get it. Of all people.


We were also taken over to the construction site where the new locks are being built. So, we got to stare at that for a while. The best thing to come out of my Panama trip was this really snazzy coffee cup I found in the gift shop. Now that I'm home and I've done some research I'd like to retract a small percentage of my boredom and say that it's actually a pretty cool concept. So there.





Belize, on the other hand, is a dangerous enigma. We arrived just off the coast in the early morning but had to stay bobbing about at sea because the water surrounding Belize is very shallow. We hopped on a tender and rode up to the port where we were urged to not go into the city unless as a part of a tour group. It's dangerous and crime riddled, they told us. Our travel agent Ellen, had not preplanned an adventure for us here so we simply wandered around the Tourist Village and then scampered off back to the ship and had ice cream.
Can you Belize that? 

Contrary to my thoughts towards Panama, I was very interested in Belize on account of a project I did on the country way back in the sixth grade. I always felt akin to the red beans and rice lifestyle and I've always wanted to go see the Great Blue Hole. I was fairly surprised to hear that it wasn't safe for wandering foreigners as I remember reporting about a happy, tropical culture and their appetite for flavored rum.






A highlight of our moment in Belize was our tender ride back to the boat. Though I'm not sure how it came about, I looked over to find Dad silently and subtly mimicking a very prolonged vomiting. The tender was jam packed full of people and we had other folks on either side of us. I chuckled softly. Mom looked over. Dad realized he had all of our full attention and began a cat-like hiccuping, silently surging his head forward and backwards with his cheeks full of air. No one around us seemed to notice. His show got bigger and grander and as the imaginary vomit built, his eyes opened wider and wider until suddenly, he leaned sideways and pretended to hurl all over the sleeping man sitting next to him. 
We enjoyed this thoroughly while not a single other soul seemed to notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...