Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Tale of Two Trashcans

When I moved into my new place I had a tidy and undamaged, hunter green, City of Charleston trashcan. It sat proudly to the right side of my off-white town home and just behind my stately blue recycling bin. I rolled that green trashcan out to the street every Thursday and I waited patiently for it to be emptied and then I would roll it back to its grassless plot and slowly fill it again.


Someone on my street is obsessed with the trashcans. As I roll my can out to the road, so do the other dwellers in shared town homes and we put our cans in a pod together and leave them there to mingle all day while we’re all at work. One Thursday evening, I forgot to bring my can back in. I looked out my window, noted that it was still there next to one other unclaimed can and I decided I’d grab it in the morning.
And so the next morning I walked to the end of the driveway and discovered that someone had taken my lovely green trashcan and left me with a filthy, green-brown trashcan with a missing lid, broken handle, and a hole in the bottom. I looked up at neighboring houses in outrage. “Who did this?” I wondered with scorn. I scanned all the visible cans in the area and I saw my can. I saw my gleaming clean can sitting beside a little pink house next to my building. You see, the cans make quite a racket rolling down the driveway. In my neurotic fashion, I feared the Can Snatcher hearing me approach their home with their awful trashcan. They would run down their front steps and wrap their body around my happy trashcan and refuse to give it up. So I decided to be the bigger person and I rolled that dirt-ball can up to my house and parked it in the dirt patch with a look of disdain and for the last five months I have used the broken can which has splintered and snapped even more since then.

Just a few weeks ago, on Thursday morning, a shiny white City of Charleston truck was following behind our neighborhood garbage truck. This truck was replacing worn- out trashcans with brand spanking new, never been used, still smell like the plastic factory, hunter green, city trashcans. I saluted my worn out trashcan as I pulled out of my driveway, delighted to find my fresh one in the Can Pod when I got home from work that day. Indeed, they took away the dirty can and left in it’s place a can better then my first can. A can that was now rightfully mine. And I rolled that shiny green can up to my house and I parked it with pride in front of my recycling bin. “Check out that can!” I said to no one, bobbing my head as I circled around it and I sashayed inside with glee, pleased to have a trashcan that accurately represented my cleanliness and overall look of organization and mindfulness. Yes, I read all of this from people’s trash cans.

And when I woke up the next morning I proudly looked out my window. Out and down at my new trashcan. My new trashcan was gone. My eyes darted to the Can Snatchers yard.  The Snatcher had three brand new cans corralled on the side of his house. My head jerked back in shock. I marched outside to take a better look and indeed, the Snatcher had prowled through the night, searching for the folks that received new trashcans and he gathered them and piled them up in his yard. He was however, polite enough to replace the stolen cans with other cans of satisfactory condition. My current trashcan is relative to my original can, clean and functional.



I saw the Trashcan Bandit this afternoon. I’d just gotten home from work and I heard the distinct sound of one of the cans rolling by. This sound was out of place as today is a Tuesday and there are no pick up services on Tuesdays. I held back my curtains with my index finger and peered out at the driveway. There was the Bandit, in broad daylight and he had his filthy paws on my neighbors recycling bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...