Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Little Creatures, Big Thoughts

Turns out I thought I had more exciting animal pictures than I actually do. I feel like we spent a lot of time looking at critters but I guess I was too excited to remember to take pictures. My memories of all the crawlers are crystal clear and I think that's exactly why I thought I had tons to show you.

Now that that's been cleared up, I'll present to you my favorite animal. The wombat. I have loved wombats for many years and would do almost anything to hold one and make it love me. Look at this little guy.


I was so excited to be in the presence of a wombat that I did not read any informative plaques or pay attention to the wombat's keeper while she explained his meal preferences. I just watched this little guy waddle around and eat a deconstructed salad. I just really wish he loved me as much as I loved him. 

We also saw koala bears and various marsupials. There were lions and tigers and even little meerkats. Mom spent a lot of time looking at the tigers. I couldn't tolerate standing in a glob of humans who's small children had no qualms about wrapping their little rat-sized hands in my hair or holding onto my thighs to get a better view. I left the tiger den and stood with Dad who was watching a small Asian girl throw a huge tantrum. These are the sorts of things available for observing when one visits a zoo.






Before I move on to the most important post of our time spent in Sydney, I'll tell you that I do lots of big thinking when I'm in a new place. And I don't think it's the presence of new things that make me think but rather the absence of my routine and all the little things that make up my little bubble of life.
I had all sorts of good thoughts about people and life when I was on this trip. I think its because your brain has to work more slowly, going over new details and working things out and then all that thinking leads to new thoughts you've never had before and it all tree-branches from there.

Back home your brain is in a routine of thoughts;
Ugh! I don't want to get up yet. What will I wear today? Did I pack my lunch? What time is it?
Then you get to work and have your assortment of Work Thoughts.
Did I send out that bill yet? I need to start that before Wednesday. Oh! I stepped on a daisy! What time is it? Did I call him back?
And when you get home you mull over dinner options and decide if it's worth exercising or if Netflix sounds more entertaining. I need to go to Walmart this weekend. Where's my shampoo? What was that sound?

When you're off in a new place and the comforts of home are not an option, you venture out. You try new food. You sit by the water. You ask other humans for help. You might even go to a show. It reminds you of all the things you could be doing, maybe not everyday, but certainly sometimes in all your free time. When I come back from trips I always have big plans to sign up for fun classes or try rock climbing but going home and getting resettled is such an ordeal that you put those fun things on the back burner and before you know it you've forgotten the excitement of trying new things and you'd rather stay home "just for tonight" because you're so so tired.

I wish I could find something in my everyday life that makes my brain wake up from it's routine and think about new ideas. A stimulant. That's what they call that isn't it? There's no brain stimulant in my life bubble.

What I just rambled about up there is not what I was thinking about on my trip. That all just occurred to me as I prepared to offer you my new insights but now that I think about it, I'm going to save those nuggets for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...