Wednesday, August 9, 2017

London - A Drastic Change of Pace


While Mom and Aunt Carolyn ventured to London from a quick visit to Edinburgh, Ellen and I arrived in the city on an early morning flight and had hours to kill before we could check into our next hotel. This marked the worst day of my Contiki Cough which Ellen and I both noted was far more ‘enthusiastic’ a cold than anyone else had.
“That’s because you coughed it directly into my face.” I told Ellen who disregarded that statement. I will note here that I have never before had more snot circulating through my sinuses. Blowing my nose resulted in astonishment from anyone within earshot. I pleaded with Ellen to let us slump in a cafĂ© with a hot cup of tea and so we found a warm little spot where we ate breakfast and let the morning slip away.


It was chilly in London, a refreshing change from the hot Mediterranean air and I retired my green snappy towel to the depths of my dirty clothes bag.
I was elated to see Mom and Gigs hop out of a taxi in front of our hotel. We hugged and giggled and filed up to our hotel room where everyone sat to read the information booklets and leftover magazines from plane rides past.
We went from darting around a new city each day to inching along crowded sidewalks while Mom mulled over stopping in each store. Having discovered Moms’ budding interest in trinket shopping a few years ago when we flew all the way to New Zealand for her to buy a coffee cup, I had mentally prepared myself to move slowly and be relatively uninterested. What it lacked in adrenaline it made up for in verbal prose but I’ll get to that later.
The upside to London is the multiple visits we’ve all made here over time. Snobs aren’t we? We did not need to see the sites or wait in the lines and instead we spent our first day with no destination in mind and set out to the streets like seasoned pros, like locals with no plans for that day.  





Our second day of London was a ticklish kind of day where we had high tea in a fancy hotel and then took a cab to the West End to see a play. Snobs aren’t we? Once linked up with Mom and Giggles, I imagine Ellen felt a myriad of things. Sometimes she would barrel many yards ahead of us and when we finally caught up to her she would have already mapped out a route or a plan for our next few hours. Other times she was plugged into her cell phone or resigning herself to the back seat of our group and would offer no opinions on what she wanted to do that day.





I very much enjoyed being a bystander to Carolyn’s creative inner-workings. Gigs takes in a scene with a sharp eye and a quick tongue. To you, he may be an old man hobbling down the street with a cane. To Gigs, he’s a retired ship captain on his way to meet a haggard steward wench for pint. She concocted the tale of Snotty Snotkins and a few other fun characters.

At some point she wound up sitting next to this man on the subway. She eyed him slowly, her stare lingering on his feathered hairdo and without hearing the first peep of Carolyn’s thoughts, the four of us choked back tears and laughter. Snobs aren’t we?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...