Friday, January 12, 2018

Obscure Moments


Do you ever have a moment that’s so great that you’re certain it would be one of your flashing happy memories if you ever found yourself in a Prisoner of War type situation? I think about this a lot – because I have so many happy memories. You know how in the movies, the good guys are beat down to a pulp or they’re cornered like sitting ducks on a battlefield? And when night falls and the hailstorm of pain and terror subsides for awhile, they tell a story about their mom standing at the kitchen sink doing dishes and the light hit her just right and made her look like an angel? Or maybe they recall a day that their little brother skinned his knee and had to be carried home and the big brother would always remember feeling like a hero and then that’s what makes all the soldiers/p.o.w.’s muster up the strength to make it through? You know?




Well I have lots of moments stored up for the day that I’m kidnapped and kept in a shipping container for a few months. But I do wonder if the flashing happy memoires would help or hurt more when one really thought about all sorts of lovely things that they don’t have anymore. Before I left for my Eastern European romp last summer, Brett and I were sitting on the ground next to Ari’s pool watching the dogs swim and play and it was a perfect temperature outside and the golden hour was creeping in and it was just so great. I don’t so much remember that moment for being lovely but instead I remember the moment because I took in the scene and my thought was, “This is a P.O.W. moment.”

Most of these moments are places, special spots where the good things happened- where I realized something big or felt really loved or really peaceful or it's a place where I had a big laugh. I'm lucky to have so many of these moments scattered all over the place. Each in a different landscape and brainscape, if you will - whoever I was at that time. 

A side-thought. Ever had a great moment because you were the stranger in the room? Or the only American? Or brunette? Or the person in the room that knew the answer? Oh the great little nuggets of time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...