Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Bachelorette and Thoughts From Ellen


As the wedding day inches closer, the feelings of "I can't wait!" are getting even more intense. I've not looked forward to something with this amount of gusto before. I'll even admit that no trip I've ever gone on has had this much pull or excited anticipation. It's nice to finally know what it feels like to want something so badly that you think you might pop. I was starting to think I was dead inside.

In honor of the Big Day, Ellen has written her first Guest Post for Awe Geez. Ellen's excitement for my wedding is also something of a new experience. Ellen has loved Brett since they first met so I think she's been waiting a long time to celebrate this day. I'll supplement her thoughts with photos from my surprise Bachelorette day. My sweet friends know me so well. They set up such a gentle, happy day to celebrate me - no wild night clubs and binge drinking. We got together for afternoon tea where my friends from different areas of my life sat together and learned about each other and laughed so effortlessly. It was a trip seeing that collection of faces enjoying time together. Ellen got tired of me saying so. From Ari's tea party, we went to Jenny's house where she and Chelsea lit lots of sparkly candles and added touches of greenery to decorate the living room. (It really is those little efforts.) Chelsea even made "Laura and Brett" cookies that I'll never get over. Each of my sweet friends then gave me a gift inspired by some kind of Laura memory and hearing their stories of what comes to mind when they think of me mostly made me crack up laughing while a few made me arch my mouth into a frown to express the sweetness of it. We left Jenny's for a little bar where we shared a bottle of champagne and too much cheese and salted meats. There was a bit of rowdiness when the owner brought us a strange decanter to drink out of and shortly after, Ellen led us to a dance club where my friends politely bobbed in place before suggesting we go somewhere else. They know me so well.



Without further ado, a guest post by Ellen Union:

Well folks… the time has finally come. Two Things: 1. Big sister is finally getting her voice to shine on Sister’s blog. Hard to think it has been about 8 years with this puppy, and I have yet to contribute. HA! (cue the eye roll- we all know I am the sarcastic one that doesn’t normally participate in family related functions… but here’s the thing. I am getting MUCH better at it. Old age and the notion of responsibility has FINALLY kicked in).

The 2nd big thing: MY BABY SISTER IS GETTING MARRIED THIS WEEK!!!

Uhh y'all the excitement, the anticipation, the nervousness! I can hardly contain myself. It is taking forever for this week to end. Thankfully, I have taken off Friday in anticipation of Mom either having a meltdown or finding myself galavanting off on some wedding-related errand activity. If all else fails and I am not needed, I shall be at the beach, soaking up the last days of summer (in October...thank you Charleston).

Now, you may ask- How is the bride holding up? Laura has never been more calm. She is already the laid back ninja of the family. In fact, the only thing she is stressing about is the “timeline” of events that is taking place on Saturday. Who is going where? What time are people coming? Will we have time for pictures? Am I going to have the immediate or extended family in all the pictures? We, as a family, love to not pay attention to these details. Laura has only been talking about this for months.. Yet we all found ourselves at the dinner table asking the SAME questions..over and over...and over… to the point where Laura started to get put out with us :) Bleh...bleh...bleh… Have no fear Issy, Belly is here! We all know how much I love to whip people in shape and boss them around. This may be more thrilling for me than the actual wedding day festivities. I will have that floor shinin’ like the top of da Chrysler Building. Just you wait.

Bretty (the groom and/or victim) is also holding up nicely. He is also a laid back chap and I think at this point he just wants to get to the party… that’s all I want as well Bretty. Especially after my daunting speech. Oh Lord.. now that one folks… has kept me up for the past 3 nights. I have changed my speech over 100 times. Some versions are funny. Some versions are sappy. Some are just plain stupid and make no sense.  I have woken up in the middle of the night in sweat multiple times. You see… I want to make this special for these 2 plugs. If I could have it my way, I would bring my sister to tears, but we all know how she hates emotions. She would rather stab herself with a dull dinner fork than show any sort of emotion in public. HA! I am pretty sure I could make Brett cry easier than I can make Laura.

Now onward to the family and the fun part of this weekend. There are so many people flying in from all over the States. We have people from VA, CO, CA, NY, TN, and NC just to name a few. It is so exciting to see all these people flying in from all over to support these two love birds. I am especially excited to see Jared, whom I haven’t seen in a few years. For those that have been following this blog, Jared with went with us to Europe back in 2012 and has been a great travel companion for Lu through the years. Overall, I am so excited to spend time with family and friends this weekend in celebration of Brett and Laura. I never really get that excited about weddings, but this one I have been especially.  We are having a huge party in the backyard. We have a funk band coming, stringy lights. Great food and my personal favorite- WEDDING CAKE!


Dad hopes he makes Joanne mad and she calls the cops on us. “I am just waiting on her to bring the cops over.” he says with such delight! Dad actually wants to “pay off” the cops just to say he did it! Side Note: JoAnne… is our unfriendly neighbor who lives a few doors down. She delights in terrorizing people. She has had the nerve to make a few phone calls just to get us in trouble only to then stare my Dad in the face, and ask for help with something. Now, Dad is a good man (and put up with her for way longer than I would have), but after the last time, he said “Crap on that. I am done with her.” So now, he relishes in the fact that if she even steps foot on this property, there will be some fun words being slung… Gosh I hope I am witness to this sight. I've been saying for years that I want to light a bag of poop on fire and leave it on her front porch…. I haven’t been granted that opportunity...YET. There’s still time though.

Now, technically we don’t need a “party permit” with Charleston County as this is less than 100 people. However, something tells me, we probably should have gotten one. Dad said he has all his “loop holes” covered. He has contacted the City of Charleston, James Island Mayor. Heck he probably called SCEG. He has everyone in the loop for this party. He is even getting excited about all the extension cords and various houses that will be funding electricity to this grand fiasco.

Back to the point. I can attest that these two truly are perfect for each other. Brett is such a welcome addition to the family and I couldn’t be happier for my baby sister. These two have gone through some stuff together, but have always managed to come out on top. Brett has a way of understanding Laura in a way that most people don’t. He makes her giggle uncontrollably, he makes her feel safe, and he makes her feel valued and respected. He, in my opinion, is a wonderful match for her and I couldn’t be more thrilled about this union (haha get it?)

So as I close out this blog, please say a prayer for my mother ( who is probably stressing out just reading this). Pray for good weather (ain’t nobody need to be dancing in the rain- my dress is long and I am too short for that). Pray for love and calm nerves for the bride and groom (we don’t need no troubles- we better be havin’ this party. I been waiting too long for this day). Pray for safe travels for all who are coming here (remember- Uber is just an app click away!).  And lastly..Pray that big sissy doesn’t completely lose it during the ceremony and ugly cry (since I am the emotional one of the family and can’t be held responsible for my actions).

CONGRATS TO THE BRIDE AND GROOM!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...