Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Special Things


While I had a vaguely tropical twinge in mind for the Big Day, I didn't expect to create such jungleish flower arrangements and all I could think of when I looked at them was Jurassic Park, a real romantic blockbuster. The details of the day came together in stages and I was tickled watching Dad adorn tabletops with happy, delicate blooms. A few mini-disasters took place just before the ceremony. My ring went missing, a circuit blew, and the wedding cake split in half.


Don alerted me to my missing wedding ring with such understated concern that I chuckled and carried on with other things. Laurie once described a panicked Don as a duck on the water. It all looks placid but underneath the surface those little legs are furiously kicking. I thought of this ten minutes later when the ring was still missing and Mom had joined the search party. I was just moving into a panicked state of my own and was rather unfazed by the ordeal. They go on to find the ring nestled perfectly inside of Brett's. I think that's awfully cute.


No one told me about the blown circuit and the lights going out and the rental potty's AC turning off. I noticed Dad's friends on ladders toying with twinkle lights and Dad rooting around in the bushes but this also blew across my mind like a tumbleweed in the desert. I was starting to get nervous and retreat into myself because it was kind of toasty outside and I was worried I'd pass out even though I knew it wasn't hot enough. I was starting to think in worst-case embarrassing scenarios. Then I started to think about whether or not I'd had enough water. And food. And protein. Was I healthy enough to get married?


We went outside for family portraits and even though I'm smiling in the pictures, I was actually doing heat calculations and a food diary in my mind. I elected to go in for a snack post-portraits. That'll be just the ticket.






I sat in the sunroom and ate cheese. Will and Katie stood and watched me eat cheese and I was trying to pretend this was just a normal moment as a cheese enthusiast and not the desperate staving of a potential wedding day disaster. Luckily, Laurie is an all-knowing angel and she took a look at me and started scrambling around for a soda. "You need some sugar. That's what you need." I felt safe admitting to her that I felt a little puny and she went full Mom Mode and had a pick-me-up in my hands almost instantly. It did make me feel better but then she and Mom chastised the way I was swinging around my glass of coca-cola. "Don't you spill that on your dress!"
I spent a little more time outside mingling with guests and just as it was time to go to the end of the yard for the ceremony, beautiful Chelsea arrived with our wedding cake and she looked flustered and guilty. She said there was cake trouble. I brushed this off too. Beautiful Chelsea can be hard on herself. She brought me inside and slowly lifted the lid on her cake carrier. It was a beautifully frosted white cake, it's just that it was almost in two halves. I noticed the caterers were watching for my reaction. I chuckled and said, "That's ok! Let's just frost over the trench and cover it with flowers." Chelsea seemed dejected and pained. The caterers told me I was the most laidback bride they've ever seen. The reality was that I was much more concerned with my upcoming performance as "bride." Everyone was taking their seats and I knew I had to go out there.



I felt better when I saw Brett and Don standing in position, chatting nonchalantly. Though I had initially objected to walking down the aisle, bossy Ellen took her job as "keeper of the time" too seriously and my statement of "we'll all wander down together at 5:30." meant Ellen had everyone's butts in their seats at 5:25 and I was left no choice. Dad and I felt awkward and giggled together as we rushed down the aisle. 

It got terribly quiet after I took my place next to Don. I shuffled around a little, using Brett as a sun umbrella. Don waited. I stood still, I looked at Brett. It was quiet. I looked at Don and said, "hey" which felt just as stupid then as it sounds now. My nerves kicked in. Don started talking and I glanced at his note pad. His performance as "officiant" looked like it had a hefty script to it and I doubted I could stand under the gaze of so many for very long but the best part of having your second Dad officiate your wedding is that he makes you feel at ease and before I had time to panic, I became engrossed in Don's words and I forgot about the 84 pairs of eyes that were staring in our direction. Don said lovely things, unexpectedly funny things, and things that made Brett and me seem like an exceptional pair of people.  




From this time I remember Brett's smiling face and the pauses and emphasis Don put on certain words. I remember glancing at the crowd twice and both times wishing I hadn't looked. I remember seeing Aunt Georgia and a dear friend from Kindergarten. I remember throwing my bouquet on the grass with a smacking sound and telling myself to take in the scene because I was in my favorite place getting married and the marsh I've looked at so many times was now the illuminated background on a most notable day. I remember wishing I could see the scene from the back of the crowd. Also, I remember saying my vows which was my main concern. Oh, and there were bugs. I remember whirling bugs.


We've received heaps of compliments on all of these special things. The flowers, the yard, the cake. People kept asking who made the "gorgeous" cake and it tickled me each time to think of Chelsea's forlorn face knowing how beautifully she fixed it. I'm not sure she's ever going to forgive herself because she's just that kind of devout friend. Everyone asked who Don was. What does he do? Is he a preacher? What church does he lead? He did such a warm and engaging ceremony. I was sure proud of him and his beautiful words.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...