Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Stream of Consciousness

Several times each week I think of things I want to tell you about on my blog space. When I sit to do the blogging I can't remember anything that has happened to me in the last month or so. What's that about? Do you think it's a weird thing to be conscious for most of the hours of each day but looking back you have no recollection of what kind of person you were for the whole year that you were nineteen? Was I good at talking to people back then? Was I awkward or graceful? Did people think I'd grow up to be alright or was I disconcerting?
I recently found a correspondence I had with another girl in high school - riotous letters we exchanged, and had you asked me about that girl, I'd have said we never really talked. I don't remember befriend and exchanging letters with her. What was I thinking about back then?

So to combat the memory loss, I take a look through the pictures on my phone, as they act as a digital journal of my days... except that most days I don't leave the house so the majority of my journal entries are pictures of Pippa. And that's because she follows me everywhere and then does cute, funny things and I think I must take a photo of it or I won't remember that it happened, like the rest of my life so far. Remember that time Pippa sat like this?



Or when I got ahold of her back legs and she just slumped over and a accepted it. 


Maybe I need one more picture of Brett telling Pippa a story. They look so sweet together.


But then I gather all of these pictures and realize that no one has any real interest in looking at Pippa in different positions. I, of course, can't understand why. But you do. 
The truth has already been stated. I don't leave the house much, so any news I've gathered has come to me through phone calls that were possibly initiated just to make sure that I'm still alive. 

Mom calls and keeps me updated about Bob things and Aunt Georgia's recently acquired collection of bruises and broken bits. Dad calls to offer his delivery services and ask questions about office things and if we'd like to come over for dinner. 
Ellen calls daily, less to check on me and more to be entertained because she does all of the office work too fast and then has hours to kill. I've been fully updated on her and Lee's big adventure through Europe and will share the wedding photos when we get them back and Ellen accepts that pregnant people are a little puffier than non-pregnant people and that the pictures are beautiful and special and in a few more weeks when she's a real whopper, she'll probably think she looks great in  those photos. 
I will share this photo though. 


This is Lee in a hospital in Barcelona. He got some awful food poisoning and spent the last four days of their trip laying around just like this. That breaks my little heart. 

From Brett I get in-person updates about life outside of our home and he tells me all about work things and what he's been reading while he's supposed to do work things and then we have meaty discussions about all of those intellectual things he's been reading and before we know it, we've got to do the dishes and get to bed and start the whole thing over again. 
In ten years I'll look back and wonder what I did the whole year that I was twenty-nine. Do you think that in that time I'll gain a new quality that will seem so natural that I can't imagine having lived life without it and then I'll wonder what I was like at twenty-nine? Did I do this thing yet? How did I function without it? How was I perceived?

In actual news, Brett has to wait until late December to find out if he passed his big test. He said the morning portion of the test was frighteningly easy but the afternoon portion was much less suspicious and gave him reason to smother out the confidence from the first part of the day. For a few days after the test he was still mulling over the questions that stumped him and texting them to his boss so they could "nerd-out" about it together. I'd like the record to show that I read one of the questions and selected the right answer without doing any math and instead, just using common sense and I've been impressed with myself since. Brett reveled in my intelligence, chuckled at himself and then went quiet. I'm still not sure what to make of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...