Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A Blur of Seaside Towns


Oct 17 - Cartagena: Adorable, colorful town. The group of us wandered and shopped before stopping for a "tapas" lunch. At the table, Dad was targeted by an African salesman pedaling wooden bowls. "You Sir, a bowl for you."
"I don't want it," Dad replied.
"25 euro."
"But I don't want it."
"20 Euro."
"It's not the money, I just don't want it."
On and on until Dad caved. Now I'm the one having to lug around his "African artifact."



Oct 18 - Palma de Mallorca: What a jewel. I'll need to come back and stay a while.





19 - Barcelona: I am the only one who hasn't been to Barcelona before. We all took the "HoHo" for a tour around town. (Hop on Hop off bus) Dad took his Ambien too late last night and was in a major stupor. He became nauseous and then slept through the rest of the tour. Says he's never getting on a bus again. 


Oct 20 - Marseille: While everyone went to Aix, Dad and I stayed in Marseille (Dad didn't want the bus ride) to explore. We climbed an old medieval tower and wandered the windy streets looking for lunch. We found a hole in the wall with the happiest French fella, Lucas, making sandwiches. He was delighted we chose to eat at his shop. Honored even. I practiced my French, became embarrassed, and then Lucas spoke English for us. He was so excited about his newest sandwich - banh mi inspired pulled pork- that I didn't have the heart to stick to my morals and not order it, so I ate a pork sandwich and it was delicious. 
Cruel but delicious.  


Oct 21 - Ajaccio, Corsica: The tiniest town. Took 5 minutes to walk the whole thing. Dad bailed. Then Ellen. Then Georgia. Then David. Mom, Carolyn and I made it another 20 minutes. Beautiful markets with fruit, honey, cheeses and fish. Everyone took long naps today. I've been befriending the two Italian baristas up in the coffee lounge. Mom came with me today to have a cappuccino. She guzzled it, loved it and then ordered a second one. "Ohh! Now I can go to coffee shops and home and have these! What a treat!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...