Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Blue Water

Have you read about this?
Folly's water has turned Caribbean blue.


I went to the beach last week and thought that my sunglasses were making the water this pretty greenish blue, alas, it's real. The blame is being put on the dredging thats been going on in an effort to renourish the beaches. Everyone's quite excited about the water and even I've been making more beach trips than normal, just to pretend I'm somewhere tropical. In addition to the pretty water, the sand underneath it feels like Play-Doh. The beach itself is somewhat rocky now. Parts are our soft white sand but large stretches are rocky tough spots that hurt your feet to walk on. Another obstacle is the long, rusty, serpentine pipe that now sits proudly amongst sunbathers day after day.


Every block or so they've built little sand bridges over the pipe so that folks can get to the water. The walk into the water takes you through a layer of normal, shell filled sand, to compact beach sand, to large rocks a foot below the surface. Then things feel normal for a while. When I was in thigh deep there was the strange sensation of stepping on a hard surface but that shifted under your feet. Like a skateboard or a rope bridge. But then, to my delight, at waist high, I was plowing through Pluff mud. I was sure of it. Some swimmers were put off by the texture. I loved it. I reached down for a handful to sling at my friends and when I pulled it up out of the water it wasn't Pluff mud at all. It was white and gooey. I think it was clay. 


No one is entirely sure about the changes that have taken place at Folly. One important science person mumbled something about lime and how it reflects colors. Probably the water color will go back to normal after the renourishment project is finished but for now it's very, very exciting. 

In other Folly news, a 10-foot alligator washed up on the beach and some heat-packing beach-goer shot it clear between the eyes, in front of all the little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...