Sunday, December 31, 2017

To The New Year

Without meaning to sound cynical or mean, I'm tickled by people's New Year's sentiments and the "defeated but not discouraged" little notes they write. They talk to the year. "2017, you were a real challenge but we made it through to the next chapter of our journey."
 I chuckle a hateful laugh. "This year brought joy and pain..." 
That's a side effect of being alive. Do people expect to have a year without hiccups and blunders? 
"This year will be my year!" Well I sure hope so for you but you didn't have to wait until January 1st to go after your dreams. It's not a magical day. The Earth doesn't even know what day it is. It's just looking out from the merry-go-round at it's star buddies that it hasn't seen in a year. 

Perhaps I just don't get it. I know Ellen takes the New Year quite seriously. She countdowns from weeks out. She likes the fresh start. Except that I don't see it that way. Last year's problems will still be there. If all the years were a fresh start, we'd never learn anything or remember what we spent the last year doing. Ellen had a tough year... but she hasn't really solved her problems yet. (don't worry Ellie - none of us have) So what about January first clears her head? I want in on this. 

For now I'll keep on keepin' on - sleeping, snacking, and telling myself I'll finish my paintings someday, you know, when the time is right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...