Monday, December 11, 2017

A Weekend in Athens


Yesterday I got back from visiting Ari and Nate for a long weekend. It was a regular weekend for most people but the boss lady over at Lux & U let me leave work on a Thursday so I could have a three day weekend. The last time I drove to North Georgia, I had tire trouble by the time I got to Orangeburg. This time I had tire trouble by the time I made it to North Charleston. I think my car really hates North Georgia. I took Mom's car instead.

I got into town Thursday night around dinner time and Ari and I ate her leftover vegetables and had a celebratory glass of wine while we looked at wedding things on Pinterest. It was so girly and embarrassing that we broke out into giggles many times. Ari laughed with glee when she "pinned" her first wedding dress. And then she was embarrassed again. We sipped our wine and looked at gowns and flowers and invitations and then Ari decided it was too much to think about so we went to bed.
The next morning we made the most delicious buttermilk biscuits that we ate with a side of bacon and then we had quiet time. Ari had to get a little work done, so I sat with her cat, Mabel Simmons, and read and googled and thought about life. It was cold and raining outside and when Ari finished her work, we decided we didn't want to leave the house today. Within 10 minutes of that thought we were en route to the grocery store for pizza and baking ingredients and a quick visit to a chocolate shop that serves "drinking chocolate" in little espresso cups. It's thick, liquid chocolate. Almost like drinking hot fudge. After that we came home and hunkered down for the night. We did more wedding planning, watched a scary movie, and right around dinnertime, Nate arrived with his dog Chester, and we talked more wedding plans and ate pizza and went to bed.



Saturday was the big best day. It was snowing when I woke up with Miss Mabel curled in a ball under my arm. We used our leftover buttermilk to make pancakes and we listened to Christmas music and watched the snow. I thought it was awfully magical... until Ari made me exercise with her but once I got past that, we baked a cake, played a few rounds of Cribbage, and then we loaded up and headed to the farm.

The farm belongs to a couple that works at UGA that Nate became friends with while he was in grad school. He would watch and tend to the farm whenever the couple went out of town. They have horses, goats, cows, and chickens and lots of land and woods and exciting plants. This is where Nate proposed to Ari and the couple had us over for an engagement toast. I don't need to ramble on about how great this place is so instead I'll tell you that we went for a freezing cold walk through the woods to find a Christmas tree that we cut down and brought back home to decorate. We found a big Charlie Brown Tree and had to decorate it with what we could find because most of the Christmas decorations were victims of a house fire a little while back. Long story.

We had a potluck dinner, told stories, wrestled with dogs, and had a toast to Ari and Nate.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...