Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Honbons: And Other Seaside Sweets

Two weekends ago my Hon's came to town for a beachy getaway. The anticipation had me wiggling in my seat all week and finally, late Wednesday night they arrived on Folly. Papa U pulled some strings to get us into a vacant rental house right on the beach. It was a week-long rental so Mom and Pops moved in on Monday and wiggled in their seats until the Hon's arrived. Staying in a rental house in your own town is a funny kind of vacation. It still feels like you're somewhere else, except that you have to drive into town once or twice each day to feed your pets and do a little computer work.

I woke up early Thursday morning so I could get to the beach as soon as possible. While most mornings require Brett to drag me out of bed by my ankles (Literally. He thinks it's funny.), I sprung right up and hurried him out of house, though I did this subtly and with much kindness. "Oh, you haven't packed your lunch? Well, you go make your coffee and put your contacts in. I'll take care of lunch. Go on. Don't keep The Man waiting... What, you can't find your wallet? Here, take mine. Just go."


The breakfast shift was ending when I arrived at the beach house. The home was lit by golden, morning sunbeams and the room smelled of coffee and bacon. Laurie and Don's happy smiles met me at the door. We did our normal story exchange, moving to different settings throughout the day. We also went for a chilly beach-walk where we found hundreds of slimy pink worm-slugs and a small man in a loose, satin diaper. Diaperman (not Diaper Man) was a real sight to see but Laurie's struggle to maintain her composure was the best part. We would go on to look for Diaperman throughout the weekend.

We snacked and told stow-ries and then all the old folks went down for their naps. I drove back into town to feed the pups and intercept Brett on his way home from work. We gathered up some supper supplies and by the time we arrived back out at the beach, everyone was upright again, talking and snacking and darting in and out of the ferocious winds outside on the porch. We ate our supper and finished the meal with two belated birthday pies for Laurie. Shortly after, we played a long round of Shanghai where there was a brief moment of political tension followed by Brett informing Don that all his "yammerin" was making it difficult to concentrate. I think Don talked the whole weekend.


We spent another day snacking on and chatting about life's best things. Laurie brought along "Frosted Heroin" which are her too-decadent-but-somehow-I-can't-stop-eating-them cinnamon rolls.  She also managed to bring an entire cooked ham and a breakfast casserole.
That evening, Will arrived from Helsinki and all of our attention went to figuring out what he and Katie are going to name their daughter. His lips were resentfully sealed, though we'd make guesses and his face would give him away. He never did tell us the favorited, prevailing name but we guessed a few of the runners-up and they are lovely names so I don't reckon that his reason for not telling us, ("I'm afraid you won't like it!") is all that valid. I plan to hold resentment about this until she arrives and someone tells me her name. Who wants to find out the next generation's name through a text message? You can't get that moment back.


Here's where things get real good. Laurie brought Crainium with her, a simple and delightful children's game. Oh we had the best time. We teamed up : Honbarriers, Unions, and People Under 40. While us kids did win, I'd have happily chosen defeat if it meant I could watch Dad be a blowfish again and hear Laurie humming classic songs to Don with her eyebrows acting as punctuation marks. You have to hum and draw and sculpt things with clay and spell words backwards and it's just hilarious to watch. These are the best four photos I've ever taken.





The next morning we jaunted off to church for an Easter service and came back to some long-awaited perfect beach weather ... so most of us piled out onto the beach and we even took Will on a search for Diaperman. Eventually Wilber had to catch a flight back home to Katie so we replaced him with Ellen and Lee. Lee delighted the crowd with his childhood musings and eventually Ellen gave him a look that said, "Shut up!" and then they left.

Since Brett spent that Easter Sunday with his family, it was down to five; my four beloved parents and me. We played a final round of Shanghai and ate peanut M&M's
Thinking back now, I don't remember most of the things we talked about all weekend, but that's how you know you're in good company; folks that cherish your yammerin'.

Long distance is the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...