Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Back To Boise


The two day ride back to Idaho in the midget car was full of exciting events. The collective body aches from upright car seats and lacking leg room had become too much to bear. Mom created a nest of paper towel rolls over on her side of the car; back support, neck rest, and any other uses Bounty had never intended.

We did meet a little dog named Willy when we stopped for gas and bathrooms. From then on, we met Willy and his family at every rest-stop along the way. Willy's Mom was a nonstop talker and Willy was a super friendly jumper. She talked and talked and we would awkwardly inch away. At one stop I caught Georgia holding little Willy while his Mom used the bathroom- we were all old friends by now. We even saw Willy and his family drive past us when we stopped for a nice lunch in a random Idaho town.



Alone in my desperate need for a bathroom, Georgie pulled over and sent me into the woods with a paper towel. I walked miles it seemed, before I found a shrub tall enough to hide behind. I crouched in the wilderness, wondering if a family of bears was watching my scene. Plants brushed my arms and legs. I feared I was dragging my behind through poison ivy or some kind of foreign herb that would force me to soon have my fanny surgically removed. "Are there snakes in Canada?" I wondered, shaking nature away from my ankles.

When I shamefully emerged from the woods, aware that every passing car knew what I had just done, I noticed Georgia had taken my seat in the back of the car. The three gals decided they were all too sleepy to drive so I climbed behind the wheel, sent that seat back two feet, and stretched my long achy legs out to the gas pedal. I felt a stinging pain in my ankle. Was it a snake bite?
I drove us across the border and into northern Idaho where I was promptly pulled over for speeding. Now don't you worry. No ticket for me. Seems you're let off the hook when driving around a gaggle of "elderly women." I continued my drive, silently panicking about my ankle. I knew I'd brushed past something deadly. I wondered how much time I had before my whole leg would fall off.



We eventually made it back to Boise just in time to watch the sun go down and rest for a few hours before getting up at 3am to get to airport on time. We took one final long ride down the driveway and off into the night, saying our goodbyes at the airport and then all splitting off, heading different directions.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...