Sunday, October 5, 2014

False Alarm

Last week I was babysitting Ari's parent's house. They went off for vacation in Michigan and left me in charge of nurturing their pet cockatiel that just won't die. This is a standard procedure for me by now and I simply keep an oven mitt on top of Jollymon's cage and a key to their home in a bowl near the front door at Mom's house. The oven mitt protects my Distraction Hand from crotchety Jolly's aggressive attacks towards his dutiful feeder. I wave the mitt around over his head while my other hand changes out his water and food bowls. Jolly squawks and flaps his wings in protest, seemingly oblivious to the definite death he would experience should I choose to ignore my duties.

Tuesday night I curled up in bed and fell asleep like a baby, tuckered out from a long day of thinking. It was just after 2:00 and I was in the middle of a dream about cello lessons when my phone rang and woke me up. Unless it's Ari or my family, I don't answer my phone after I've gone to bed. I saw it was Ari's Mom and reached over to silence the blast, completely forgetting that I was "on-call" for this family. I don't remember making the decision to answer the phone before I heard Elsa telling me that their security alarm was going off and the fire department was outside of their house, waiting to get in.
"I need you to go over and let them in." she said, somewhat panicked. My auto-response was a cheerful and professional, "Alright, I'll head right over." and then I hung up and threw on some jeans.

It all hit me suddenly as I was driving over that their house might be on fire and that I was going to have to talk to firemen. "What if they're really good-looking?" I remember thinking. I would surely laugh at a good-looking fireman. How could you not? I began imagining the cliched calendars of topless firemen carrying kittens and I cringed at the thought of interacting with them. Stop that Laura. Their house is on fire! Get it together. I flew down Harbor View road, suddenly feeling my adrenaline kick in and worrying about all of Ari and my memories that may be dissolving into ash. Then I realized that any good fireman would surely just put out a fire and not wait around for someone with a key to drive over.

The flashing lights of the fire truck parked outside of our house kind of made me feel sick. I parked my car and three firemen met me in our driveway. Two of them were wearing their fire gear and I could barely see their faces through their masks. The third wore normal clothes and hung back behind the other two. The two big ones both stood one step too close and it really intimidated me.
"We have reports of a house fire." the shorter one said. "We need you to let us inside."

I quietly opened our front door and retrieved the key to Ari's house. Dad was out of town and I was afraid to wake Mom up and scare her. The three firemen followed behind me silently as we walked up Ari's driveway and I let them into her house. I turned off their alarm system and then noted definitely, that the house was not on fire. I relaxed when I realized the house was fine and under the kitchen lights I could see the friendly faces of the two heat-resistant fellas.

"I don't think there's a fire." I told them matter of factly and then I chuckled softly at my own statement like an imbecile. I was then forced to answer a bunch of questions by the casually dressed fireman who had an adorable pair of big ears. You gotta love a fella with big ears. I'm convinced that's how Obama won the vote. After nervous giggling my way though the interrogation, I was made to lead the guys through the house, turning on lights and opening doors for them. I figured they would have done this right away on their own but I gathered that they aren't allowed to barrel through someone's home when there is a blatant lack of emergency. I led them through the house, informing them that I grew up next-door and was the caretaker of the bird that won't die. The biggest fireman enjoyed my disgruntled thoughts towards ole Jolly while the shorter, serious one disregarded my calm banter and interrupted my answers to his questions with more questions.

Only the short the fireman followed me outside and up the stairs to the addition. When we came back down I saw little Mom talking with the big fireman and the lofty eared one.
"Hi Mom!" I said with perhaps too much enthusiasm. I cleared the house of servicemen, turned off the lights, reset the alarm, and locked the door. The five of us walked back down the driveway while Mom told me of the confused panic she felt when she looked outside and saw my car and the flashing lights. Mom and I giggled foolishly at ourselves and I wondered how often firemen encounter overly relaxed, near-accident victims. The big fireman stated that the lack of emergency wasn't a total waste.
"At least we got to meet the neighbors!" he said to his co-workers, pointing at Mom and me. I liked the big one and lil' Obama. The surly short one really didn't say anything useful while they packed up their gear and told me that everything was fine.
Well thanks Einstein.


I still don't know why the alarm went off or whether perhaps someone tired to break-in and have a cigarette under the smoke detector. I gave Mom an apology hug and then climbed back into my car to go home. The big fireman waved me goodbye with a happy smile on his face and my quick ride home lasted ages as I called Elsa to give her a full, incomplete report.

I was back in bed around 3:45 and I was bustling with energy. It took ages for me to fall asleep and I had violent, scary dreams about fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...