Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ross Marine


Last week, Dave and some of the folks I met at the Volvo party set me up to shoot the Governor's Cup Awards. That's a fishing thing, so you know. Here I thought I was attending a party of government types and law enforcement. It is in fact an awards ceremony for fishing tournaments, big fish, and boat crew things.

This party was especially exciting for a number of reasons. Ross Marine is a private marina on John's Island. This means we had a sensational marsh view and got to watch the sun sink down over the water. I love anything on the water but it was exceptionally Lowcountry feeling over there. It felt like such a southern party. I also just happen to like John's Island for it is but one island away from my dream retirement island, Wadmalaw.

There were happy people, tasty snacks, good tunes, and such a pretty setting. I got so tickled by people's conversations. I'd find myself hovering over a table of folks, listening to their stories. I'd laugh out loud at the punchline and then suddenly remember that I was hired help. The group would politely turn to look at me. My toothy grin would sink down into what I thought might look like an artsy, pensive expression and I'd slowly wander off "to take pictures." I'm sure I'm an awkward photographer girl.






Giggles and Dave showed up after while and Dave saved the day with his boob-shaped flash disperser. When it came to shooting the actual award ceremony, the flash on my camera washed out all of the warm lighting. Dave brought along this rubber contraption that softens the flash and makes nighttime shots closer to what you see in real life. None of those red eyes and inky backgrounds.
So really, Dave shot the Governors Cup Awards. I just went to the party.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...