Monday, October 27, 2014

The Firsts of Sunday Dinners

The past two Sunday's in our Sunday Dinner Series, have sported some important firsts. The first First was our first Sunday Dinner at my house. My first dinner party. My first home cooked meal in my own house. I was so tickled. I selected some new recipes to try in combination with old Laura classics. I'm gonna toot my Salmon horn. I can manhandle some Salmon.
The clan came over just a itchin' with anticipation. Ellen however, was developing some flu-like symptoms so we excused her from post-dinner card playing so she could spread her germs into my colorful throw pillows and leave balled up tissues in my sofa. To the horror of us men-folk, Mom and Ellen forced us to end our evening with the final and most off-putting scene of Dirty Dancing. Ellen recited lines right on cue while Mom provided musical percussion. They eventually all filed out and left me with my biggest pile of dishes to date.







The second First was the first ever attendance of Carolyn and Dave to our Sunday Family Dinner. I think there's a new home being thrown into the rotation. Our dinner with Carolyn and Dave was prompted by Dad's fervent attempt to upstage Chris' and my meal. Chris is a sensational chef, preparing the kinds of meat dishes folks splurge on maybe once a year. I chose wacky dishes, pairing unsuspecting ingredients for a whole new dining experience. Dad promptly objected. "I can't be outdone by these kids!" he shouted to no one and he declared this Sunday to being a Lebanese feast. "They can't compete with this!" he mumbled, shaking musky spices into a bowl of raw meat.

Dad prepared the pungent dishes of his childhood and invited Carolyn and Dave to sample the exotic fare. To really sprinkle defeat over Chris' and my meal, Dad accented the patio with paper lanterns and Middle Eastern background music that bellowed high-pitched, ethnic wails from our cozy backyard gathering up and out, out into the neighborhood for all bystanders to hear.
"Have those Union's joined a cult?" the neighbors surely wondered.



Giggles and Dave brought Sunday Dinner to a whole new level. The uproarious laughter hurt even my ears. It was one of those nights where everybody brought their story telling A-game. The sassy comebacks, the witty remarks, and cheersing to Father O'Malley. Buddy found our decibel level most off-putting and hid from us in the bushes. I think Dad drugged us with his tribal meal. I'd tell you all of the juicy one-liners but I'm afraid it would expose us as terrible people. I'd almost brought along my buddy Tim to this dinner for he was enticed by a Middle Eastern meal. Thank goodness Tim didn't come. If the howling sitar music hadn't scared him away, our unbridled laughter at Dad's one-armed man impression would have surely caused him to sweat. What would he have thought of us?

"Surely every Sunday can't be like this?" Carolyn said on the way back out to her car. It would be exhausting. I was tired from laughing. My eyes were sore from happy tears. Gosh I just wish everyone could have dinners like that one.
Makes you so grateful for good folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...