Saturday, January 3, 2015

Happy Lou Years

This is my buddy Louis and his adorable girlfriend Amy.
He's as dry and sassy in real life as he looks in the picture.


You may know him from Asheville this summer.


Louis is about the only good thing to come out of my time in high school. Ole Lou forced me to be his friend in french class our freshman year because he said that befriending mutes is a fun challenge.
I was the mute mind you. Louie forced me out of my shell and tried to teach me the importance of Jimi Hendrix and drinking enough water. We've been buddies ever since.

In college he became the captain of the Ultimate Frisbee team and his apartment was filled with roughly 9-12 fellas during the week and 20+ on weekends. I was the only non-frisbee player and at the time, also not a student at CofC. I was known as "Louis' high school friend" or "Cupcake Girl." They still call me Cupcake Girl actually, even though I haven't shown up with a delicate pastry since 2010.

This was the core group of weekday fellas.


And something like this was a typical day.


Since Louie moved to Asheville last Spring I've barely seen any of these guys. I'd be more angry about him moving if he wasn't so darn happy up there. It was New Year's that brought Lou back to town and reunited the whole gang this past weekend. I was elated to see this bunch and a few of them, since it was a special occasion, even called me Laura. It was here, as I waited for 2015, that I realized that 2014 was Louie and my 10 year anniversary. I was officially the oldest friend at the party and was promptly congratulated for being "the only consistent female in Louis' life." 
Pre-Amy of course. (I think they'll get married and I can't wait.)

This has nothing to do with anything. Just that thinking about the early adventures of Lou and Lu made me think about school where Louie and I were looked at by some of our teachers as adult kids that didn't belong in high school. I was so quiet all those years. I mumbled something to the kid next to me at graduation and he turned to look at me with surprise on his face. 
"I didn't know you spoke English." he told me.

Anyways, I celebrated New Years with some of my favorite people. I guess that's my point.
I'm still so happy about it.








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...