Thursday, July 5, 2018

Thoughts From My Big Blue Chair


In recent times, as I’ve sat in my big blue chair to regale you with laughs and musings from the ever-changing perspective of Big Lu, a late-twenties wannabe adventurer who is overly sure of her own insights, well I’ve sat with specific reports to share and not done my more typical, “I’m bored and here’s what I’ve been thinking about” style blog post that you may have gotten used to and subsequently wished would go away. I do prefer to delight you with something that I witnessed more than I do the paltry discussion I’m having with my brain that day. 

But in my musings about musings it only took me a second to acknowledge that I’ve had less time to muse and so I’m feeling out of touch with what I’d be learning and doing if the world supported such a thing as acquiring internal wisdom. Take my Florida Keys report for instance. Given previous accounts of tropical tales and the overseeing of the overseas, you might have expected more details from a whole week living differently than normal. I’d have liked to help paint the picture you have in your mind of what the big rental house looked like or the flow of mealtimes with eleven hungry people but I found myself too rushed to put description into that reality. We ate, we swam, we slept. That’s the jist but it also leaves the best hours unaccounted for.

I’ve found myself speeding through tasks and even cutting corners in areas that only affect me. It’s interesting how your concept of being ‘busy’ is constantly changing. I thought I was busy back in college with my part time job but later you get a full-time job and spend your downtime tending to assorted requirements. That feels busy because it’s unfulfilling. Then you by a dilapidated house and start a business and try to schedule your wedding and plan a honeymoon and still keep up with people’s birthdays and the definition of “busy” is totally redefined.
I’ve realized I define anything outside of what I want to be doing as “being busy” simply because I’d rather not be doing it. This would suggest that things I enjoy doing sit outside of the “busyness” category, falling under the title of “Living” or maybe, “Mental Well-being Activities.”


When work-things are slow, I move everyday chores into the “busyness” category and am subsequently burdened by them because I’d rather write a story or read a book or pop in on friends while they’re at work just to make their day brighter. I’d like to write letters to a lot of people, organize various aspects of my life, and spend more time cooking elaborate meals but I’ve found I can’t throw my focus into these Mental Well-Being things when there are chores to be done or deadlines to meet. The “productive” things I should be doing swarm around my head like gnats that no amount of Deet could ever repel.

To ensure that this post doesn’t sound like a downer I’ll add that a huge bulk of time has gone under the category of “Sociable Friendship Things” which is rewarding in a way similar to “Mental Well-being Activities”, except that you do come home after the great time and have lots of unticked boxes in your personal agenda. I'll give you a report on the Sociable Times of Lu-Bee-Doowop as soon as I harass my friends for accompanying photos.

My morning view.

I will tell you that I had multiple birthday meals out and received lots of flowers and plants which lines up perfectly with my plan to grow a jungle in my house. Brett splurged and bought pricey steaks to make for dinner that night (A real thrill. We're too poor for red meat.) but then he sliced his thumb open with a chef's knife and it really set a strange, bloody tone for a celebratory and extravagant meal at home. 
As far a wedding planning, I just need to order some lights, linens, and envelopes and the bulk of my wedding planning will be over. Brett still needs a suit. And we need wedding rings. Oh and a cake! Nevermind - I'm not done.

Lux n' U is already booking weddings for Spring of 2019 and putting out fires for Fall of 2018 so even though I'm currently "off-season" I'm still irksomely busy.

The list of big house projects has gotten down to just nine more painstakingly long tasks. Most of which I hope Brett will do while I'm out of town. Have I mentioned we're going out of town again? -Ellen found a cruise. You know my thoughts.
Also, Pippa tore part of her ACL and is on lockdown for six weeks. No running, jumping, stairs, or happiness. We're on day three and we're both extremely putout. 

 Here's a picture of Ari and Nate just because it makes me smile.


One last thing. I would like to share with you a song I wrote and sang while I was cutting the grass. No need to remark about my intelligence. I already know.

*To the tune of Row Row Row Your Boat

Mow mow mow your lawn,
several times a week.
Merrily caroling, 
happily barreling.
My yard is full of weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...