Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Big Lu's Big Business Blunder

I made a bad business blunder. A blunder more awful but slightly less embarrassing than the time I forgot to blind copy the hundreds of people I sent a "personalized" marketing email to. Worse than the bride who told me her Groom's boutonnière broke before the wedding and they couldn't use it. (That's never happened before or since so I'm certain they were roughhousing the thing and then were shocked when it behaved like a delicate piece of perishable nature.) And worse than the bride who sent me a plywood arbor as her inspiration picture and then was disappointed on her wedding day that her arbor looked like plywood. Those three things are the saddest days in Lux history.

About two weeks ago I realized that I've been in business for a few years now without any major disasters and I wondered what it would be that I would ruin someday and how far into the future it was. No one gets through unscathed. You can't properly run a business without messing something up once or twice to figure out how to do it. And sure, when I look back at my first few Lux weddings, I cringe a bit and curl my toes because I could do much better now and I feel guilty that I charged money for what is now sub-par work. But there's a difference between growing and learning. Or something like that.

This past weekend I messed up big time and am suspicious that I summoned my own blunder with my reasonable but perhaps big-headed observation of my spot-free record.
But I can't tell you what I did. Out of my fear of the off chance the wrong person would stumble upon this post, I knew I couldn't amuse a crowd with my blunder while I update you on my family's latest antics, as though everything is funny and normal, because it's certainly not funny to the folks I let down. (And for the record, was not funny to me until a few hours passed. It's not funny at all actually, but you know I can't tell a story without noting the humanity and that's where I get tickled.) (It's tragic.) (Which is usually funny.)
My point is, I feel bad not writing about my big mistake because it might convince the six of you that read this blog that I wouldn't highlight my wrongdoings in favor for portraying myself as poised and coiffed and all that. My life is lovely and funny and full of fluffy blooms. And I have dogs and a car and a long-legged husband and I work from home and take extensive vacations and afternoon naps and visit my Mom and boy this girl is the worst. Won't she shut up already? We get it.

Once I got out of college I had notably fewer things to complain about and then Brett showed up and after while life went grand and I forgot to be broody and burdened. Woe to me.
I'd like to really highlight what I did wrong and how easily it didn't have to happen if I was just a better business person, really throw myself under the bus, you know. I'd like to point out that I'm only pretending to be a business person. (Which I also find funny.) I really feel awful about my blunder even though it all worked out and the bride was sweet about it. That sort of thing keeps you from relaxing behind your little pine desk and thinking that you know what you're doing. Didn't I just write a post proclaiming my floral business know-how? Boy I'm just the worst.

My second point is, it's important to acknowledge when you're a loser. A Lu-ser.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...