Wednesday, January 29, 2020

January


This month flew by. Looking ahead into this year, January seemed like the perfect time to get organized, do a little lounging, and generally muse about the good things. These things were accomplished mind you, but somehow it felt more bustling and hectic than a normal month of all the expected things. We started our month by celebrating Big Bubba Brett's Birthday. We had two of our favorite couples over for Brett's favorite dinner followed by his favorite decadent chocolate cake. I love celebrating that guy. He's the best thing that's happened to my life.



Just a few days later we had a celebration for little Olivia. We hosted Ellen and Lee's baby shower at our folks' house and had 50 of their friends come through to rub Ellen's round belly. Ellen hated all of the attention. Lee dazzled the crowd. Brett ate most of the mini-quiches. It was a good time. Olivia is scheduled to come early but Ellen could blow at any minute.

Beautiful Chelsea made heaps these cookies for the baby-shower. Isn't she amazing? (She recently started a business making personalized cookies for all kinds of occasions and they're SO exciting.) 

I did some girlie flower arrangements and Dad dazzled with his food spread. Mom prepared the house and fussed over plates and platters and all the little things that go unnoticed when properly executed. It's a thankless job. 

Ellen and Lee in a sea of baby gifts.

Bob moved into an old folks home in Mt. Pleasant, where he has two attendants who argue over which one is his new girlfriend. On a bustling, blowout Friday Carolyn had a birthday, a retirement, and a husband with a hip-replacement surgery. Aunt Georgia continues to delight me with Wonka Runts. She once bought me a five pound bag of them. It took 4 years to get through them and I was bringing them as potluck dishes.
Ari and Nate had a great little oyster roast where we got to spend time with the newest addition to their family, Ms. Magnolia. But everyone calls her Maggie.


I've been meeting with "industry professionals" to pick their brains and weasel out tips and tricks to help make ole
Lux n' U more profitable. I'm gearing up for the wedding onslaught and spent a whole day getting the shop ready.


Somewhere in there I hurt my back and have had to go talk to a different kind of industry professional who's teaching me all the ways to care for myself and stand properly and it makes me feel a smidge juvenile. "Stand like this. Turn your feet out, Laura." I went in for a stretching this morning and it's the closest I've ever been to feeling like a real athlete. There I was, a strange man smashing my leg up into a painful position. Yep, this must be what the pros feel like. 
One of my florist friends slipped a disc doing a little mundane job I do every wedding weekend. She had to have emergency surgery and find a team of un-trained college girls to do her weddings for several weeks. This is a frightening story. You know I'd rather wallow in my pain than seek medical help. Consider me spooked.

In bad news, Sweet Budds has a malignant lump on his side that's being removed next week for tests. I'm scared and sad... but nothing gets Buddy down.


Brett and I found an exciting secret spot on a dog walk last weekend with lots of trees and marsh-views and this great dock at the end. The girls romped and leapt and had so much fun that they slept away that entire afternoon. 


With the cool but warm weather we've had, all the camellias in town have busted loose and it's one of my favorite sights. There are lots of confused flowers already blooming and even though the sight delights me, it's too soon and I'm worried about the flow of flower things. I hate winter, but it's a necessary evil. I don't want to miss out on the daffodils because we didn't have enough chilly days.


My first wee wedding of the year was last weekend and it's kicked off my "Spring " season. Coming up in February, we've got a Seabrook celebration, a Dunes West dance party, and Mills House marriage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...