Monday, February 11, 2013

Folly Gras

Saturday was ye old Folly Beach Mardi Gras celebration. Folly Gras.


Being a proud half-NOLA gal, Ari decked herself out in full costume, from the feather mobile atop her head down to her gold trimmed, white marching band boots with tassels. She insisted I join her in this endeavor but as you'll see, I refused. I've never been a costume person. I prefer to blend in and go unnoticed. But I did in fact wear gobs of colored beads which I proudly handed out to other bashful types, insisting the flashiness factor was ok, just this once. One step at a time Ari.


We headed out there at 1:30 for the parade and we ran into a bunch of friends and various acquaintances, including our musical friend Julie and her roving band of harmonious roommates. The place was packed! My four minute ride to the beach took a whopping thirty-five minutes as cars were bumper to bumper the entire way. We had a most excellent time and didn't end up coming home until 4:30 the next morning. That was accidental. But you know, you have to do these things when you are but a baby with a wealth of time on your side. 


I also ran into my buddy Dan from Australia. What are the odds? Notice the blue blob of sugar in front of us. He was very excited about the "fairy floss" which he kept saying over and over. "I'm going to go get some fairy floss. You want some?" "Fairy floss?" I thought. Is that a drug? Has Dan started doing drugs? Turns out thats just what them Aussie folks call cotton candy.





The late-night instigators here were all of our Surf Bar guys who got off work at 6:00 just in time for dinner. And you know, it's important to eat a good dinner. And you know we had to spend time talking and dancing with them afterwards. And of course you have to take them up on their offer to go home and build a large bon fire (something I found out, is illegal on Folly Beach).


In Ari's mind, this weekend was a warm-up for the real Mardi Gras on Tuesday. I've got news for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...