Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back To The Coast


The moment I've been waiting for!!! We finally got back to the Pembrokeshire Coast. Lukas's friend Kez and his lovely wife Nia are from Fishguard, a little town up on the north side of things. So off for a visit we went. It was a bit overcast when we arrived but Kez and Nia picked us up from the train station and took us around the tiny little town, which took approximately 3 minutes..


We had a quick lunch as Nia rushed us out of the restaurant. "We have to meet Joe and Flora!", she exclaimed. "We have to go crabbing!!".  Apparently it's a pastime to tie bacon to string and dangle it off the dock to catch crabs. Once everyone has a crab, you race them down the boat ramps. Nia was so excited about this and is clearly an old pro - managing to tie 3 pieces of bacon at 6 inch intervals all down her piece of string. Unfortunately the tide was too low for this adventure and no one managed to catch any loot. 



We gave up after while and the sun made an appearance. The AberJazz festival was taking place here this weekend so we sat outside and listened to the tunes. Later we went to Nia's friends house where we ate fish n' chips and saw a rainbow. I started to feel sick here. Prior to their house, Flora and Nia insisted I try organic cider. I did, and it tasted strange. At first I thought I felt sick because I was sitting amongst a toddler and his bacteria toys and soiled clothes. Then I thought of the cider mixed with greasy fish and boy - yick!! Nothing actually became of this though it prevented me from a few hearty cackles when Nia knocked over two drinks and the toddler brought up the rear, batting a mug of tea off of the coffee table with an inflatable pirate ship. I spontaneously felt better and then considered feeling guilty for silently accusing the child.

We spent the evening around town meeting various friends from high school and such. Mostly I was incredibly cold, though everyone else seemed to think it was nice out. I find it odd that these people can be all bundled up in coats and still think it's nice weather. It rained on us a bit and so the 10 or 12 of us hid in a shed. During this time we told jokes, found a big spider, and were blinded by various cell phone cameras.


Kez's Dad put us up for the night and MAN!! It was the greatest house ever. I loved the kitchen so much it hurt way down inside. Everything was unfinished wood and stone and farm housey. Giant windows and high ceilings. He lives up on a mountain outside of town and has his ritzy art gallery in the back yard. Oh that kitchen!!! I told him I was moving in and he mumbled something with his Welsh accent and then stepped outside. You just wait Papa Kez. Just wait.

While Kez and Nia went off to see friends the next day, Lukas had them drive us to Newport (Just 7 miles away) so we could climb Carningli Mountain. It seems my summer of cowering indoors has rendered me somewhat... girly.








It was a tremendous view. Those colors. I was entirely exhausted once we got to the top. Little did I know, Lukas was plotting to put me on the Coastal Path. We walked from Newport to Dinas. I did my best to be pleasant and not complain too much. Once we got back down the mountain, through the town, and onto the path, I forgot to whine about my aching joints and burning calves. Gosh it was so pretty. This place is a little hidden gem. It's a shame no one really knows about it. I would surely move here if it wasn't for the harsh winters. The locals here are beyond friendly - giving us rides and meals on multiple occasions. "We don't get many Americans round here." they say, "But the ones we meet are so friendly!"







1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...