Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rhossili

On Sunday Lukas and I took two buses out to Rhossili. The buses were warm and the rattling lulled me in and out of sleep. It was about three hours of winding around the smallest little Welsh towns before we arrived in Rhossili. We emerged from the warmth of the city bus onto a windy windy cliff top. And so we had lunch with the most epic view.







Afterwards we meandered through the globs of tourists out to Wormshead - the farthest tip of cliffs in the picture. This set-up, Rhossili and Wormshead, is one of the top 3 beaches in the UK and top 15 in the world. Some pretty stuff. It was perfect weather though the giant gusts of wind really gave me a chill. We were up so high!






To get out to Wormshead, you climb down the cliffs and scramble up over big jagged rocks in the water. (See below picture.) Luckily I was wearing a very expensive, $16 pair of elite hiking boots, my little red sneakers. My goal was to keep my feet dry -which I successfully accomplished. I did however plant my foot in a fresh pile of sheep pooh. I really enjoyed the rock climbing portion of the day. I wish I could do that everyday. The catch with the Aqua-rock plain there is that it becomes entirely submerged with the high tide. People have to scramble back while it rapidly fills with water. There's actually a giant bell at the base of Wormshead. This is because people often get stranded and ringing the bell alerts someone on Rhossili to come pick them up in a boat.





The view from the top was just the greatest thing! Unfortunately the tide was coming in. Lukas insisted we had plenty of time but based on my observations of Lukas's punctuality, I insisted we leave right away. I was not going to cause a scene by ringing that bell. Once we climbed back to the top of Rhossili, I was HOT. I was wishing the wind was more tornado-like. We cooled down with some locally made honey ice cream and my world is now changed forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...