Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Welsh Life

There is almost no humidity here. This means that my hair looks sensational everyday. It's thrilling. I had no idea what Charleston was doing to my hair. Not that I ever cared before. But now I know!! I can't accept what used to be!!

People here don't refrigerate their eggs. You'll find them in the bread aisle.

I've started eating currants. I love currants, though I don't know what they were before they shriveled. I put them in my salads. Other folks bake with them and eat them like raisins.


Dogs behave better than people here. Not that the people behave poorly. The dogs are just that good.

Flowers are everywhere. Window boxes, tiny yards, gardens. They even sell them at little corner stores where you would run go grab batteries and cigarettes. I see new ones at the grocery store almost everyday because people buy them right up. Seems everyone buys a bouquet of flowers with their produce and dairy.

There are buses and taxis and trains. You really don't need a car. I find this particularly exciting as I love walking so much and my legs can now take me anywhere I want to go. No need to buy gas, change oil, or drive on the wrong side. Cardiff is a relatively small city, though it is easy to get lost and some places are just too far to wander to. Well, perhaps if I wasn't following Lukas's storm trooper pace...
Though ye be warned, some buses don't run on Sundays and will leave you stranded alone in the wilderness.

Everyone here hates my swipey credit card. I cause a scene everywhere I go as they barely have swipers anymore. It often takes management to ring me up as the employees are only used to seeing Chip and Pin cards. You just stick those in a slot, enter your pin, and leave. I have to play with signatures and receipts and typing in the whole number. "Oh do y'all have a pen?" 
"Y'all? A what?" 
"A pen. To sign. I have a swipey card." 
"Let me go get the manager."
Some places simply can't take my swipey card. "I'm sorry. No." And they check my signature! No one ever checks the signature at home.

There are tons of little fun facts. The tiny cars. The demi-flush vs the whole-flush. You have roughly 4 seconds to cross major highways. ETC... can't think of them all now. 
I intend to be more informative with my posts soon. Can't seem to quite get myself together. You know how when you're not at home, you pretend it's not real life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...