Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Decade Recap


This will be the last of my self-serving posts for a while. I've settled on a blog space restructuring that will be implemented tomorrow. No more attempts at humor and pseudo-insights. This is a space for serious business.
But more on that later.
Accompanying this post are slightly out of focus photos from our Christmas Sunday Dinner.




Due to the time of year of course, I was thinking back to how the decade started and I realized that I started the decade by dropping out of college to travel and be wild and free and unburdened, and I'm ending the decade with a husband and a mortgage and a business. So I reckon my outlook changed a bit.


High and Low lights for Big Lu:
2010 - dropped out of college / started my travel fixation / Met Lukas
2011 - reluctantly reenrolled in college / started at Boone Hall (life altering new outlook) / good trips
2012 - had the best time in Greece / beginning of very laborious breakup / heat stroke / lots wallowing in aimlessness
2013 - graduated college / develop mild anxiety / not enjoying odd jobs / very grumpy / always tested by fake boyfriend
2014 - quit all jobs / drove across country / reluctantly came home / met Brett / started at Duvall
2015 - finale of laborious breakup (mostly) / started at Bloom / develop panic attacks / not sure where life is going
2016 - Brett moved away / quit Bloom and started Lux / felt a great sense of loss and worry
2017 - Brett came home / big trip with Ellen / learned about business / developed debilitating anxiety / Found Pippa
2018 - Found greatest little house / lost family / Brett proposed / happiest summer on record / married the Big Guy
2019 - lots of small-adventures / made a home / heaps of babies / steadiness / significant decrease in anxiety





In-between all of these major markers are the worthwhile and meaty bits. The lazy days and family dinners and outings with friends and great books you read and songs you hear and warm sun on your nose and birthday cakes and road trips. There's also a lot of introspection and doubt and feeling blue. Life can seem uneventful until enough time goes by that you can look backwards and inwards.
Up there, that was my tumultuous twenties. Everyone says that your twenties are messy so naturally I became determined that mine would not be - because I'm not a drinking, partying type that kicks up trouble. I'm polite and frightened. What could be messy about that? Turns out it's your innards. My 20's were messy.
Everyone says your 30's are great and calm and young feeling. I'm actively excited, and that's new.
What will my High and Low lights list look like in December of 2029?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...