Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bonne Hall Goofin'

Why Hello there! I know I'm a horrible updater of sorts. I apologize. My classes are winding up and now I have even more mundane, yet time consuming tasks to complete before the end of the year. When not wallowing in self pity because of these tasks, I've been at work! Actually, I've been so busy with work that I still haven't unpacked from the big move (which is why you've still not seen any pictures). I've been getting up with the sun in the mornings and getting to my beautimus Boone Hall in time for the sunrise light show in the drive way.



This weekend in particular was extremely busy over in the strawberry fields. We had over 1000 pickers before noon! I lucked out and was sent away from the pickers to charm and deceive drive-by produce buyers. Basically this means I sat around doing homework in between customers. I was quite bored at times actually- as were a number of the workers who were run off from picking by the curt and mannerless Mt. Pleasant townsfolk. 

I had available for purchase; pre-picked strawberries and assorted greenery including onions. An odd mix.




The guys were working behind me all day, staking the rows of tomatoes. Two of the guys have taken to deceiving me into extra tasks. Yesterday they convinced me we were staying open for an extra two hours. I believed them and started to throw a tantrum until they began giggling like children. When there is nothing to be done the guys come visit me in my tent. Sometimes they eat their lunch, sometimes they sort the produce, and sometimes they just talk to me. They all fiddle with things; tools, rope, buckets, etc. Sometimes they look at my school books and try to read my papers. Yesterday the two tricksters told me they would teach me to drive a tractor this year.


One of them snapped this picture of me contemplating the offer.

Also yesterday a surly woman scolded me for the "high" prices that "doubled since last year". She was very condescending and made me feel awkward and glum. Unaware of my dismal state, little Alberto just happened to swoop in with this pint sized flower arrangement within minutes of the sassy woman's departure.



It's like I work in Stepford. Anyways, it's usually seven or so when I leave, just in time for "the golden hour" as I make my way back down the drive way.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...