Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Charleston Peace One Day

For your information this is my 100th post!
In honor of celebratory things I give you this, "Charleston Peace One Day". CP1D (as my professor calls it) is a non-profit started by none other than my professor herself. It is actually a wonderful organization promoting positive peace and working towards awareness and participation of peace day. There is an official peace day, by the way, established by a Jeremy Gilley- the founder of the organization Peace One Day whose mission was to establish a peace day (which is now September 21st) and on that day have a global cease fire. Jeremy's organization is an international hoopla causing all kinds of positive action to take place on a global scale. A few years ago he was able to get a few Middle Eastern countries to agree to a day-long cease fire so that medicine could be delivered to otherwise off-limits areas. Because of this many many children were given life saving vaccinations. Anyways, you can read more about his mission here: Peace One Day
My professor (an adorable little woman) has started the Charleston branch of the organization focusing on community togetherness and non-violent communication- (something the stagnant slapper should read about). You can learn more about her cause here: Be Peaceful

For my final project in her class I threw a Tie Dye party on account of associating tie dye with hippies and hippies with peaceful demeanors. And marijuana. Yes, I threw a party for my final. And it costs thousands to go to college. Please.








We had peace cookies (no weed brownies), drinks, posters, a DJ, and a charity called Pulsera who sells bracelets woven by Nicaraguan children and all the money pays for their schooling and shelters. I bought a bracelet made by a boy named Martin Perez. I have a little picture of him and a note he wrote in spanish. I do not know what it says. 
Read about Pulsera here: The Pulsera Project

Overall it was a success and apart from ruining one of my favorite sweaters, I am pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...