Monday, September 24, 2012

Gourds n' Things

As of late, the majority of my free time has been devoted to making Boone Hall a Fall Time place. By that I mean cleaning gourds, painting pumpkins, stuffing clothes with styrofoam peanuts, painting a barn, and furiously watering mums. I'm exhausted!






We've been setting up for our Pumpkin Patch and Haunted House. I've been tasked with "artistic" duties on account of "studying art". The trouble here is that I "study" art. Not crafts. I'm no Martha Stewart! I find this all quite stressful however no one else seems particularly concerned about anything thus, I carry on. Nervous and unsure and a little bit sweaty. 

Look at this mess.



But have no fear. It will turn into a Family Friendly menagerie of Halloween crap and candy.

At the end of the day, when the sun in done branding my shorts tan into the back of my thighs, I've been painting a barn. For an odd reason that perplexes me and the other Boone Hall folk, my boss insisted on having a painting of an American flag for people to stand in front for picture taking. Halloween has never been a patriotism evoking holiday for me but I do what I'm told. Now the guys are insisting I paint a Mexican flag on the other side. Yeah yeah. I'll get to it when I get to it. I've spent a week trying to work out the dimensions and spacing for those blasted 50 stars. 50!!!


The guys are quite invigorated by the cool weather and have been cutting up more than normal. Not that I mind. They keep me entertained when I'm forced to stand around selling veggies. The other day one of them was running through the fields, flapping his arms like a turkey. This was his attempt at scaring away a family of geese that have set up camp in the tomato fields and peck at and poop on everything. Gilberto has taken to "overseeing" things from the comfort of his golf cart while Erik and I are training for an arm wrestling competition that I've instated for December. He thinks he's gonna win. Psshhh!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...