Thursday, December 6, 2012

Wait For It....

I am done with classes!! Isn't that rip-roaring, hair-raising, breathtaking excitement?? I have to finish up my final painting and turn it in Monday night and then I'm all done till January. Gosh!! AND my Christmas cruise with the Greek gals is in just 12 days!!

Lately has been a blur of things and I am ashamed to say I am very much uninvested in the happenings of my family. As for myself well let me tell you...

As of November-ish Ari and I have established Mondays as "Absolutely-Have-To-See-Each-Other-Or-Else-We-Never-Will" date nights. We've gone to a number of different joints in an attempt to find the perfect one.


We have also been following around our friend Julie who plays the guitar and sings songs she writes (quite well actually) and has recently released a legitimate album that you can buy in stores!! (Actually she has a number of these but this one, she claims, is the best). We've gone to all kinds places from Black-tie fancy clubs to Side of the Highway type dumps just to hear her play. She's amassed quite a following around here.


Anyways, in our search for the perfect, personality matching locale, we have added good 'ole Jared to the mix and finally found this gem.


Just three short minutes from my apartment lies Surf Bar, a tiny fire-hazard of a dive with a clientele of classic Folly slugs and men with hair longer than mine. We are quite smitten with it.


I think this place just screams "Laura". I mean come on. Hippies, sand, fruity beverages?? Embarrassingly (though equally ticklishly) enough, the bartenders now know our names and we get a collective "Heeyyynnminnn..." kind of groan when we come in. It's a great time.


On a more professional note, last weekend was ye 'ole Wine Under the Oaks Festival at Boone Hall. Jadie was in charge of the party planning this year and doubled the size of it from last year. This is partially what has been contributing to his loose-screw disposition. I didn't take any pictures of the party on account of working outside of the excitement but I stole these from our website.





I believe we had about 2300 RSVP's for this one. T'was a doozie. My job was simply to be a greeter, answer questions, and provide folks with their one designated wine glass. I stood at the entrance, smiling in my long black dress and standing in an ant bed. I had four guys behind me polishing glasses as they handed them out to folks. We were all really hot and hungry. Jadie finally brought us lunch about 4:00 and my glass-cleaners completely ditched me to go eat, though Carlos and Alberto sat close by to torture me with the smell of BLTs. 


The day was a rousing success and Jadie finally relaxed about 5:00 and dragged me around to meet vendors and entertain folks. I had been in charge of hiring a painter to capture the scene of the festival and though it was much more trying than I had expected (...the people I had to sift through...) I finally found a nice Asian girl who managed to complete two paintings in the short four hour window. The drunk folks were entranced by watching her paint and by the time I made my way over, she had a crowd of old men flirting with her. I'm not sure she enjoyed it.

As usual I got a big kick out of watching people stagger around and Erik and I even witnessed one older lady literally roll off the edge of the property and into the marsh. Erik was doubled over as he ran to go hoist her out of the pluff mud. He didn't even try to hide his amusement. I don't think she even knew it had happened. 

The highlight and worst part of the whole thing was the end of the night when everyone had left and all my fellas gathered together for the last time. They had been working in the parking lot and they were all wearing navy blue slacks and white button-downs. They looked so cute -it was heartbreaking!! I screeched out my Spanish Goodbyes and Thank you's and then headed home to write one last paper. They all left Monday and now the farm feels abandoned. It was so quiet yesterday. Erik and I just sat on a table -with nothing to do and no one to talk to. Erik, Gilberto, Juan, and Alberto are the only guys left and I believe they have 30,000 onions to plant this week. Awe geez....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...