Monday, April 22, 2013

A Berry-less Festival


This past weekend was the Strawberry Festival at Boone Hall. This was my first appearance on the farm since my last day back in December. I hadn't seen my fellas in months!! Ohh!!! They make me so happy. Gosh I got so many hugs and a lot of "Laurita! Where have you been???"

Boone Hall used to do the Strawberry Festival every year. The first year I worked there they didn't do it because the crop was too small. The second year there was too much construction on the highway, blocking entrances and causing trouble. To reintroduce the Annual Strawberry Festival they went all out and hired a traveling carnival to set up camp on the grounds for the week. This went sensationally. People love those creepy carnival people and all of their sticky games and rickety rides. The only zinger we were thrown this festival was a lack of strawberries. We had some torrential rain you see. Flooded the feilds. Waterlogged the berries.

I didn't mind this. "Less work for me." I thought. Wrong. I spent two day slogging through mud, battling mosquitos and Yankees in an uphill battle to please everyone and produce berries for the harsh and demanding Mt. Pleasant townsfolk. Maybe that's a bit dramatic. It was a good time actually- didn't really do much at all one of the days. But oh how I enjoyed seeing all of my fellas again. I am pleased to announce that Jorge did in fact go get himself a new tooth and Antonio is getting married in December. She said yes.
For most of us this was wonderful news. To Bridget, a girl that works the front gate, it was a somber day. "Don't marry her!!" she shouted to no one. "I love you more!!"
I think she'll be ok with time.

I'll take some real pictures of the farm soon. Everything is just about to bust loose. The onions, the lettuce...oh and the berries. But here are some rental goats and the farm from the top of the Ferris Wheel- I rode with Bridget actually. Didn't know she was afraid of heights.
A rough day for Bridget.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...