Monday, February 17, 2014

Dad Language

It sure has been a while since I told you about them other folks. I've been on a self-centered bender on account of having a pre-life crisis. No, I haven't worked it all out yet thanks, but I think I have a plan.

So in family news...

Ellen has been working on her handstand.


I have conned her into going on a date with me tomorrow. So you know, this is quite an accomplishment. Ellen does not leave the house under the circumstances of "fun". Well, she'll go off with Chris but not with me. To this day I have not been able to get her to go to the Surf Bar with me. Dad once had to bribe her with a day off to get her to have dinner with me. I was so offended that I refused to go - but I think I've got her this time.


Mom has been volunteering her Tuesday mornings helping two little kids with their reading skills. Anthony and Shadiyah are both in the third grade and dem churn can't read real good. 
That wasn't nice.
She has also still been painting the trim around the house. She insists that the walls look "dingy" and you can hear her repeating this while she paints. I have also heard more outbursts of laugher from her recently. I'll follow the noise downstairs and around the corner and find her sitting alone, cackling about her own thoughts or the occasional magazine advertisement. (I'm starting to worry about her.)


Dad continuers firing on all cylinders. He's been attending his bunches of meetings and showings and heckling tenants for rent. I've fallen for the tenants who come up with clever ways to avoid Dad at the first of each month. He finds them frustrating. I think they're adorable. 
Even more adorable is Dad's made up language. It's old news that he messes up titles, ignores suffixes, and scans past letters in commonly used, everyday words. Recently it's taken a bit of translating to figure out what he's been saying. He gets ahead of himself see and oblivously bumbles over words with a straight face and looks up at us innocently, waiting for our answer. There is a moment of silence, slowly rising grins, and then blasts of laughter. Dad looks on in confusion until we explain.

Some recent examples;

"Let's make some of those marshmallow spores!!"
"I had to put it all into the three big, plastic kastanisters."
"This is a good song. What gentra is it?"

His sweet face while we laugh at him breaks my heart but I love it so so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...