Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Yucka Plucka

This winter!
I'm being held captive in my bedroom today. I'm being highly unproductive and possibly even a bit annoying to Mom who is downstairs painting trim. The city closed again today and while I welcome the "day off" I do not approve of the harsh and yucky conditions outside. So after rolling around a while and a pre-lunch nap (you heard me) I thought. "I'll do a blog post!"

So... did I ever tell you about my ukelele?


I'd been wanting to pick up a uke for a while now and my sweet folks surprised me with one for Christmas. Such a happy sound they make. The instrument- not my folks.
After coming back from Miami and before going back to work I spent a day with the little guy and learned a Beatles song and one of my favorite beach tunes by an Australian guy named Vance. But then life showed up and I haven't had much time to perfect my technique or finish learning my chords. I'm no natural but even the most basic strum makes my heart giggle a little. While I've yet to debut any artsy performances, I'll strum for my folks and the flat sound of my butterfingers slapping the wrong strings evokes pure, raw emotion from eager listeners.



I find myself so entertained by my flat notes and tangled fingers that I end up cackling my way through classics. But so long as I enjoy it...


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...