Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mardi Gras

After work last Thursday, I piled into a tiny car with three fellas and rode all the way down to New Orleans. I'd been debating an Ari visit for a while and for the last three years I've attempted to come to Mardi Gras. I've gotten the date wrong for three years, always showing up a bit too soon or after the party has packed up and left. Just days before booking my flight I found out that Omar, Caleb, and Stubie were headed down for a good time, so I hitched a ride. A long twelve hour ride.

During this ride they discussed every possible man topic. They talked about cars, girls, beer, guns, career opportunities, laundry, guns, and Omar's cute little nephews. They stopped only three times for under 10 minutes each. I would flee to the bathroom, racing to desperately not hold up the ride. I didn't drink anything that day, for I knew they weren't stopping for my girl bladder. We arrived about 2:30 in the morning and while I was desperate to climb into bed with Ari, they insisted on a celebratory arrival beer and went to a bar for a drink. I stood politely among them, my arms folded and my eyes closed but a smile stretched across my face. Stubie finally dumped us out at Ari's around 4 and after giggling a bit, we went straight to sleep.

There were eight of us staying in Ari's apartment, literally sleeping in piles where we could find space. It was nice to see some of these old friends and meet new instant friends everyday. While kicking up trouble at Mardi Gras would be a walk in the park, I was surprised by the "good clean fun" experience I had. We spent everyday at parades catching beads and feather boas. Omar and Caleb became highly aggressive, knocking small children out of the way to amass a bead collection like no other. Every day and every night we stood on the street corner watching the floats go by and laughing like school children.









Ari's apartment is a block from all the action so rather than suffering through down time with small talk or standing in line for bathrooms, we would all scamper back to the apartment for cat naps and snacks. Mostly we played- like little kids, taunting each other and throwing food. We had a jam session on the porch one night. Caleb and Omar played the guitar while the rest of us had shakers and tambourines. We amassed a few small crowds on the street below who danced while we played or cheered as they staggered by. At one point, a man dressed as a purple teletubby stood below our balcony and spun in circles. One guy even threw us his beads. 
We dressed up in costumes, played games, and ate a crock pot of boiling cheese dip in the middle of the living room floor. I got a little bit of Ari/Laura time for 20 minutes one day when everyone was still at a parade. We had the apartment to ourselves so we put on some music, laid on the floor in the sun and talked about life. We were interrupted shortly by Caleb who, after catching a pair of green underwear from a float, decided he needed a break.







Omar had an unfortunately timed, very important Skype interview during this trip. So we all piled into the car to buy him a shirt and tie. It took a team get him ready. Emma hung his clothes, Ari searched out her iron, I trimmed his unruly beard, and Caleb helped him find an appropriate background. Omar was entirely capable of doing all these things on his own but we meddled. Thats what loving friends do.


Omar got a nice shirt and a silver tie and even some suspenders because he's "stylish like that." I was hideously entertained by how swarthy and ethnic he looked so I had him fasten me an hijab and we posed for photos.


For what it's worth, the interview went really well and he even wore a few strands of beads. A risky move I thought, but he's stylish like that. He's already been called back for an in-person interview.




Oh I had the best time and wish I had taken more photos. I get so distracted by fun! I wish I had photographed our jam session. And the mass dance party we started off Bourbon street. Oh! And for one short moment of my life, I impressed a group of hilarious black kids with my dance moves. I'd never felt so cool.

I flew back yesterday, through Baltimore of all places, to get home in time to pick up the lil' Devil from school. Caleb, Omar, and Stubie are back in the car now, fighting traffic to get out of the city. I'm still so sleepy from all the fun. I can't imagine driving 12 hours home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...