Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Denver

The drive from Kansas to Colorado was lovely. Kansas continued to be a healthy looking state and we anxiously awaited the sight of mountains when we crossed the Colorado border. I have no real points of note from this drive. Mattie and I have fallen into the swing of riding the car all day and until that frightening storm showed up, we just sat listening to tunes.


We were so excited to make it to Denver and see little Kelsey. This is the same Kelsey from Greece and our Caribbean cruise two years ago. We met her boyfriend and her new puppy and then promptly spent the evening snuggled up on the sofa watching tv. We ordered pizza, dough balls, and mac n' cheese and put ourselves into a sleepy carb coma. Mattie and I shared an L-shaped sofa and I didn’t sleep a wink.


Kelsey lives about 20 minutes outside of Denver so we spent our day running errands and telling old Greece stories. We did venture into downtown Denver that night to attend someone’s graduation party. It was really a party for family, but Kelsey is an old friend of the graduate and so brought us with her to this family reunion. Mattie and I tried our best to blend in and stay out of the way. It wasn’t until I rummaged through Mattie’s purse and found a pamphlet for stretches you should do on long road trips, that I lost my composure. The drawings got me so tickled that I caused a mini-scene and blew our cover. My tearful giggling prompted Mattie’s giggles and there we sat, two deranged strangers, whimpering on the back porch. “We’re friends of Kelsey’s.” we told curious bystanders.



We ventured deep into downtown Denver that night and while the city looked very exciting it was jam packed full of people. It was kind of awful. Mattie and I both found it rather stressful and also, to us southern gals, it was really cold. We wore jeans and sweaters but passed girls in booty shorts and tube tops. There were people everywhere and crowds have infuriated me since I was a wee littlin’. We eventually came home and sacked out on our L-bed. We got up promptly at 8:30 and hopped on I-70 west, headed for the Grand Canyon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...