Thursday, June 5, 2014

Nashville

I haven't yet worked out how I want to keep y'all informed on my whereabouts. Mattie is a technology wiz and updates all sorts of internet things every hour or so. I don't enjoy free time with my phone. It's a sassy contraption that turns off spontaneously and has trouble waking up to do it's job. I suppose it's a bit like me.

I think it's important to look out the window and really spend time with the folks we're visiting. Not that Mattie isn't, I just can't handle technology and witty remarks simultaneously if I'm not paying attention. So instead, I'm just going to be a few days ahead of each post. For instance, I'm currently in Salina, Kansas but let me tell you about Nashville.


Tennessee is a very green place. Lots of trees and hills and Nashville in particular is a tidy and neat but crowded place. I liked it. We finally stopped our car in Brentice and John's driveway. Brentice is Mattie's brother and John is his college buddy and bandmate. Brentice promptly took us for burgers and right away I discovered what lovely prayers he says. He blessed all of our meals with poetic love for the Big Guy and made me extremely self-conscious of my own God banter. "I can't compete with that." I would tell Jesus before bed each night. The four of us spent our evening giggling in the living room, telling jokes and stories.


During our time in Nashville we lounged in coffee shops, had barbecue, visited famous record stores, and took a nap in the park. I met lots of their sweet friends, found a very dark, very thick chin hair, and almost fainted from the heat. (It was my fault. I wore jeans AND forgot my water.) Brentice took us on a nice tour of the city and secretly, I enjoyed watching the interaction between him and Mattie. None of my girlfriends have brothers. I've always wondered how they interact. And, in case you were wondering, they act like old friends that have no desire to appeal to the other. It's comfortable and they make a lot of the same faces.





We spent our last night downtown listening to some tunes and looking at all the flashing lights. The CMA awards are this coming weekend so there was all sorts of hubbub and concerts in blocked off streets. We took touristy photos and assessed passersby. Downtown Nashville is a combination of Vegas and New Orleans. Bright lights and bimbos.





The highlight of the whole thing was the impromptu concert John and Brentice played for Mattie and me on their front porch at one o'clock in the morning. While half the band was missing, I was beyond thrilled to hear them play. I mentioned their band here a year or so ago and I still love 'em. But now it's real.
These were the sweetest two fellas. Such good gigglers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...