Sunday, June 26, 2011

Boone Hall Lately

As the summer has gotten started my little tent of veggies that I was working in has now been upgraded to this big thing!!



The other day it was 102˚ and I was working from 8 to 1:30. I was very nervous about the heat but was reassured by the workers (who actually have to work in the sun) that I would be just fine so long as I drank my water. It turned out to be a very busy day and I was moving and shaking (and sweating) the whole time.  I was actually having a really nice day. Everyone was friendly, I met a couple from Greece, and the field workers even picked me my own special bouquet of wild flowers from the gardens up by the plantation.





Long story short, at 1:05 I passed out! I was so close to making it through the whole shift! It all happened so quickly. I felt just fine and as I was handing a woman her change I began oozing down the counter and onto the floor.  I staggered over to my chair and announced to everyone in line that I need to sit down.  They were all looking at me with bug eyes and then left me and pretended to shop for more produce while I recovered.  I came in and out of consciousness but was able to sit upright with my legs crossed, like a lady should, the entire time.  Luckily the woman who I was helping was a nurse and she came over and took my pulse and splashed me with water.  It was most embarrassing. She told me I was having a minor heat stroke and that I needed to go inside. Easier said than done when you're in a field!
Anyways, I was fine though I had a splitting headache afterwards for 2 days. I was very glad none of the field-hands were around for that would have made me seem even more dainty and frail. Those poor guys were out there slaving away and I got too hot under my shady tent. 

Sometimes, on the weekends, I work in the blueberry division, where I sit under an even smaller tent and wait for people to come by and pick their blueberries. I like this job. I'm deep into the plantation grounds and can only be reached by dirt roads.  Its very peaceful back there and I sit right across from the muskadine vines.  I get a lot of reading and drawing done and often go pick my own berries.



I'm very much enjoying working out there.  Everyone is genuinely nice and though I don't know most of their names, everyone smiles and waves anytime they drive by my tents.  Yesterday I baked blueberry muffins for everyone as payback for my lovely flower bouquet.

In other news, Dad has collected Ellen's belongings from Columbia and driven them down here in a U-haul. She will be here Friday. Mom is currently having lunch with Granny and G-Bob and I am off to the airport soon to meet Lukas and family.  How nerve wracking!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, what I wouldn't give for a nice big juicy tomato. We finally got two plants in the dirt & are hoping to see something by the end of August.(It was 59 when I got up today) Hope the week goes well. You know I require pics! I have a bday card for you but haven't mailed it yet. It will come eventually.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...