Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mykonos

A couple of days ago we took a sailboat to Mykonos.






It was just us on the boat and Yannis, the bubbly captain that prepared us a traditional greek meal in his tiny boat kitchen. Luckily the water was so smooth that no one became sea sick or nauseaous. I was very worried about this for myself after witnessing Mom's Caribbean Blow Out. The gentle rocking of the boat lulled me to sleep for both of the 3 hour rides. I was teased for this but they were the most wonderful two naps I've ever had.

Mykonos was conveniently experiencing the hottest day of the year so far and it did take its toll. We were mostly in a humid stupor as we wandered through the windy white streets. It was so hot that I couldn't even convince myself to pull my camera out of my bag.  I believe I took four pictures.







Back on Paros we wandered back to our rooms and heated up our usual grub. After spending the entire first week in Greece eating out for every meal, we were all suddenly slapped with the reality of our dwindling bank accounts. Now it's every man for himself up in our roof top kitchen where we can all be found boiling water for various pre-packaged pasta bowls. Quite the demotion from fresh souvlaki.


I regret to inform you that I have acquired the attention of a 5'5 bald Albanian fella who has become a Where's Waldo figure throughout my days. Now don't worry. He's harmless and many locals tell me he is very very stupid. Also, I'm pretty sure I could beat him up.
Last night he showed up at the little pub where Mattie and I do most of our late night socializing. Here we have met three of the most lovely guys who have become our go-to Help Bureau and temporary best friends. They provide us with laughs, directions, and greek translations. Also included is sass, sarcasm, and Dad style cheap shots. Anyways, the five of us did our best to ignore the little Albanian who kept trying to ooze into our conversation. After an hour or so the little guy tried to get me to follow him outside and something snapped within my new buddies. All three of them stood up, literally the music stopped and they all began shouting in Greek. Mattie and I stared at each other, our eyes bugging out and mouths open. I'm sure some greek slurs were exchanged and then the Albanian slunk out door and never came back. It was silent for a second after he left. The guys looked at each other, clearly pleased with themselves and then there was an Oooo-Pa!!!!! and the music started again, like nothing had happened.
It was like a scene from a movie and Mattie and I began giggling like small children. The whole thing was really embarrassing and I still don't know what they said to him. They won't tell me. Though I did see the little guy at the grocery market this morning and he more or less ran away from me.

I'm off to class in a little bit. I believe we are driving up to the top of the mountain to photograph a monastery. It's a tough life. Think how crabby I'm going to be when I get back to real college. School in a classroom? Truly appalling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...