Sunday, June 10, 2012

Paroikia

I don't know where to begin. I've got far too much to tell you. The village I'm staying in is called Paroikia. It's a fishing village full of tourists and restaurants. There is one main road that runs along the water and everything you need can be found on this strip. I make the 20 minute walk everyday from my apartment to school along this road and now have made friends with many of the restaurant owners like Dimitrias and Andreas who greet me by name every morning. "Kalimera Laura!" My large white smile has caused quite a stir around here and I believe they recognize me by my teeth. 









The town itself looks like the gorgeously cliche pictures you see of Greece. White houses, blue doors, hot pink flowers. I'll try not to bore you with the redundancy of its beauty. I'll make an effort to limit my white and blue pictures.
Life around here is very slow. Even my american teachers are late for classes. The Greek men spend their entire afternoons sitting in empty tavernas talking and watching sports on tv. They stare at the tourists as they walk by and shout their approval of any and all pretty women. Everyone has been extremely kind including the greek women who are very happy to have you attempt to speak greek to them. The village shuts down a bit during the daily siesta and us kids use this as much needed beach time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...