Monday, August 27, 2012

Corfu

We took two taxis into town once we found out that the shuttle bus only came once an hour. Dad's taxi visited the pharmacy to buy me some antibiotics while Dave's taxi dumped us outside of the pedestrian shopping area. Wanting no part in the trinket shopping, Jared and I decided to ditch another day of educational wandering and go to the beach. We wandered through the colorful little town; Jared drawing comparisons to architecture of his tropical homeland, me, disproportionately excited to be somewhere Greek again.







Jared and I wound up at a cement beach. Actually, it wasn't a beach but it was in fact where people go to swim. It was a marina and you ooze down through slimy green rocks to get into the frigid Mediterranean water. We stayed here for a little while before grabbing lunch under a big white umbrella back in town. My souvlaki plate tasted better than I remembered and so I deemed myself a Greek food ordering pro. 



We wandered a little more before coming upon this second cement beach that we decided was much more hip and happening than the other. We sat under a tree here for two hours, people watching and making up the inner dialogue of each person. 



Jared and I had one job to accomplish today; get back to the boat by 4:00. To be on the safe side, we decided to take the 3:00 bus back as taking the 4:00 bus seemed too risky. Around two we started wandering back to bus stop, lazily dragging our feet down the stone streets, stopping to smell flowers and do various dance moves. We made it to the busy bus area and sat on a bench listening to the soothing laid-back tunes of Jack Johnson and his perpetually calm voice, perfectly harmonized with his ukelele and crashing background waves. We finally decided to hop on a bus, having had enough tunes for one lazy afternoon. We noticed there were only 2 other people there and that it was almost 16:00. "Their clock's wrong, Jared", I said with confidence, having mastered the art of telling time. "Should we tell them?" he asked. My phone said 2:55. Then suddenly I realized I never turned my phone off of airplane mode. It was still on Rome time. It was almost 4 o'clock!! Jared and I became very panicked. "We're not gonna make it!!" we shouted. We mentally tore us through traffic, down the windy streets, over curbs, and around corners on two wheels. In reality we were inching along behind tourists that had walked diagonally into the road while staring up at the tops of the buildings.

It was a really close call and Jared scolded me for my inaccurate phone clock. Equally unfortunate, as we were just about the last ones back, the head of security was standing there checking things over for closing up the ship. Jared and I sauntered up, shoulder to shoulder, with the same over-enthusiastic smile on our nervous faces. He simply pressed his lips together and watched us scurry past, our plastered expressions never flinching.

T'was the usual evening again and we tried a different onboard restaurant. T'was a steakhouse and t'was delicious. This is when I announced that Jared is afraid of big lettuce. He caused quite a scene over those romaine leaves. After an impromptu photoshoot (which also cause quite the scene) we headed up to Horizons for another night of bad music and darkness. Being the last two standing, Jared and I went over to the smoking section to talk to a guy that we decided looked like Val Kilmer, a younger version. Who can resist vintage Val? His name was Robert and he was from Brussels. We liked Robert. He was a good sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...