Saturday, November 30, 2013

Smiles for Miles

I woke up cranky this morning and have been scowling all day. My nickname at the restaurant is "Smiles". It's short for the above title and on people's receipts it says "Your server was: Smiley Cyrus."
While I do not approve of, in any way, being related to Miley Cyrus I look past this slur and see the compliment inside.

Today I went on about my tasks like any other day. About two hours into my shift I announced to the kitchen that I was cranky and they simply said, "We know." They said they could tell because they couldn't see as many teeth today. They laughed at my crankiness. As if it was nothing. As if happy little Laura is not capable of cranky. "Grumpy Laura is still nicer than anybody else." they scoffed.

I reckon this should be a compliment but in turn it made me feel guilty for hiding those back molars. It's my job to be happy and I will be scorned for ever slacking on the job. I don't really mind this. You never know if you're going to be the only pleasant thing in someone's day and so I try to be approachable and smiley.

Sometimes it wears me out. And sometimes people tell me whats bothering them and then my heart breaks in two and I carry their sad stories around with me until I accept that there's nothing I can do to help. That's what makes me cranky. It all piles up and I wake up down.

I sure wish I could help folks, beyond permitting them to admire the product of the obscene amount of money it took to straighten out my shark teeth. Gosh I had bad teeth. Do you remember how I had rows of teeth? That was my nickname in elementary school. Shark Teeth. Why do I only have dental nicknames?

Anyways. I am in no mood for socializing however tonight there are two "very important" football games on and everyone is downstairs enjoying camaraderie and snacks. Dad even rigged this set up...


so that they may watch both games at the same time.

I think I'll fester a bit longer before I go downstairs. Just for effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...