Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Honbons: And Other Vomit Inducing Fun

We spent our weekend in Blowing Rock, NC with my most prized possession, the Hons. I'm still running on my Honbon High which, in case you don't know, makes life make sense. While Ellen stayed home on Pet Patrol, Mom, Dad, and I headed up on Thursday, just a-itchin' with excitement. Laurie and Don met us at our giant log cabin getaway with big hugs and hearty giggles. We unpacked our crap, got a tour of the house, and were then whisked away to the great outdoors. There was a trail leaving the back yard that took you through the woods, across a little stream, and to a sweet little pond entirely surrounded by trees. This was a big adventure for Nature Mom whose fear of snakes outweighs the desire to explore anything unpaved. She ooohhed and squealed the whole way down and was very happy to head back to the safety of the indoors. I loved wandering through the woods and was wholeheartedly lunging over a log when I got really dizzy. I assumed it was dizziness of my bug-pill related, girly disposition and I ignored it, throwing myself in the circle of deck chairs we created on the porch when we returned home.


Here, I started rocking. This was no bug-pill dizzy. I felt like I was on an ill-fated cruise ship someplace with nice weather. I wanted to giggle and tell stories but talking was too much on my queasy stomach. Even Don noticed I was quiet. "Tell me a stow-rie." he said, as I rolled from bow to stern. I excused myself to lay down, found that I couldn't sleep, and showed up for dinner to discover I had no desire to eat. I decided to ignore it.

I so much love the Hon's company. Gosh they make me laugh. After dinner, we began our Shanghai tournament. Laurie provided M&M's and bluegrass tunes and so we snacked, danced, and played. The Passing of the Afro took place here and Will finally made it from DC to find us gathered round the table paying cards like this...


Mom and Dad went to bed shortly after Will's arrival but the rest of us stayed up chatting. Will entertained us with stories of his m'antics and kooky roommates and we eventually all headed for bed. I was staying in the Raggedy Ann room. It was slightly creepy. Ann was on every shelf and pillow. Will took one look in there, reminded me of the terrors of Chuckie, and then scampered off to his bedroom, free of any demonic childhood relics.


The next morning, the lot of us lazily rolled through the kitchen, grabbing coffee and Laurie's sweet rolls and cheesy egg casserole. While I was no longer rocking, the sensation of free-falling plagued my love for breakfast and I spent 45 minutes forcing down a piece of bread. Today was zip-line day. Laurie found Sky Valley Tours, a three hour zip through the trees, and we'd all been excited about it since she found it a few weeks ago. I reluctantly opted out of the Big Zip as I was afraid I would get nauseous and puke on my fellow zippers.
And so, they zipped.





Back at the house, I took pictures of bugs.


I was happy to hear they had a great time zipping and no body lost any limbs. They swung by the house to pick me up and we headed into town for dinner. While they ate delicious ribs and fried okra and hush puppies, I pecked at a piece of chicken and a tomato wedge. Will confirmed the Zip Line folks suspicions that I had mild altitude sickness and finding out that it wasn't the imaginary brain tumor I'd created that day, really lifted my spirits. I even managed to get down two big scoops of ice cream from Laurie's beloved Kilwins. Again was another night of wigs, card games, and good music. We laughed at stow-ries and were delighted by Dons musings on life and their recounts of the various music festivals they've been attending as they work their way closer and closer to Hippie-dom.

The next morning we all woke up feeling groovy, ate breakfast, had coffee and what did Laurie do? She decided today would be a good day to take the Blue Ridge Parkway, or "The Vomitrail" as Mom called it. Even Dad was worried about hurling on this one. While Dad grumbled about having to stop and smell the roses, we took our cars over to the Cone Estate and walked around Bass Lake. 







It was really pretty here and the outdoor walk was not so daunting for Nature Mom. Here at Bass Lake I almost threw-up twice. I am pleased to say though, that it was from laughing so hard on such a weak stomach. First it was because of a toddler named Cameron and his dusty caterpillar. The second time was at the sight of a jogger who appeared to need to use the bathroom. Don's response to this did not help my situation.
And because Will likes to scare his Momma, he did this...


Don also had tricks up his sleeve.



From here we all piled into Dad's truck so that we could Oooh and Aaah collectively, rather than from separate vehicles. We were oohing at the view from the Viaduct, a concept we somehow all found riotous. We pulled off of the Parkway, climbed up a ways and emerged here, at the most glorious of views.





We ate quick little lunch in the park in town and then headed home for afternoon naps and watching Will fish in the little pond in the woods. We had a free-for-all dinner, trying to eat up the leftover food and Mom and Will danced with wigs.


We played a final hand of Shanghai before discovering Scattergories, a hilarious game which again sent me over the edge into delirium. Laurie won my heart with her "lollipops" and the game put the magical inner-workings of Don on display. I am also pleased to inform you that if ever questioned on "things you find in a medicine cabinet" both of my parents will suggest Gout relief. Mom would like me to point out that neither of them have Gout. Shortly after the folks went to bed Will made up a dance based on the shapes on the rug and I was forced to retire.

We had a final morning on the deck before Laurie packed up our things and threw us out. We had so much fun up there with the Hons. Looking back now at what's written here, it would appear that we are all mildly deranged, simple folks whose ability to live in the real world is questionable. Surely all family's have wigs and plans for a hydraulic zip-line to and from each others houses. That's why I love these folks. It just is that simple. It just is that funny.

These people are treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...